8th Round - Steve Wilkerson - 2B - Clemson

I have seen him a few times for Clemson on tv and from what i saw he is not anything special but it is the 8th round. He is a switch hitting middle infielder with decent stroke and speed. He should be an easy sign though as a senior so more money i just hope i see them start taking some over slot high reward guys. This is a lot different then last years draft where they seemed to pick toolsy guys and high upside guys and a few poppers in the mid rounds.

I have seen him a few times for Clemson on tv and from what i saw he is not anything special but it is the 8th round. He is a switch hitting middle infielder with decent stroke and speed. He should be an easy sign though as a senior so more money i just hope i see them start taking some over slot high reward guys. This is a lot different then last years draft where they seemed to pick toolsy guys and high upside guys and a few poppers in the mid rounds.

So he is Brian Roberts?

Lived five minutes from Hyannis on the Cape last summer, saw tons of this guy. He's got a nice swing though the bat speed is nothing special. A little power, not enough to get excited about. More swing and miss than you'd like. Speed is a little above average. Doesn't have the footwork or arm for short, probably a 2B. Was error-prone (esp. on throws) when I saw him, but could turn the DP. Senior sign so if he doesn't set things on fire he's probably an org guy.

Lived five minutes from Hyannis on the Cape last summer, saw tons of this guy. He's got a nice swing though the bat speed is nothing special. A little power, not enough to get excited about. More swing and miss than you'd like. Speed is a little above average. Doesn't have the footwork or arm for short, probably a 2B. Was error-prone (esp. on throws) when I saw him, but could turn the DP. Senior sign so if he doesn't set things on fire he's probably an org guy.

A senior from Roswell, Georgia, Wilkerson was a two-time Second-team All-ACC selection.

Wilkerson started 56 games for the Tigers in 2014. He hit .317 with 33 runs scored, 65 hits, 18 doubles, a team-high six homers and 42 RBI.

http://www.wach.com/sports/story.aspx?id=1054563#.U5M7ufldWSo

Signed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> have signed 2014 draftees INF Stephen Wilkerson (8th round) and OF Jay Gonzalez (10th round). Both will report to Aberdeen.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">June 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 4 years later...
On 6/6/2014 at 5:52 PM, bpilktree said:

I have seen him a few times when he played for Clemson on TV, and from what I saw he is not anything special ........ but it is the 8th round.

He is a switch-hitting middle infielder with a decent stroke and speed.

He should be an easy sign, but as a Senior he will probably get more money ........ I just hope that I see them start taking some over-slot, high-reward guys. This is a lot different than last year's draft, in which they seemed to pick toolsy guys, high upside guys, and a few poppers in the middle rounds.

o

(3 YEARS LATER)

Wilkerson was promoted to the Orioles on Tuesday.

He played 1 inning on defense (with no plate appearances) in a game against the Nationals on Wednesday.

He will be making his career MLB debut as a starter against arguably the best pitcher in baseball (Max Scherzer) on Thursday.

o

On 6/7/2014 at 1:16 AM, eb45 said:

Nice job on the scouting report. Had Wilkerson pegged besides the overall assessment of an org guy.

Archived