Either the Orioles' scouts or Baseball America's scouts are idiots

3rd round, pick 90: Brian Gonzalez. BA rank: 386

4th round, pick 121: Pat Connaughton. BA rank: 129

5th round, pick 151: David Hess. BA rank: 267

6th round, pick 181: Tanner Scott. BA rank: 184

7th round, pick 211: Max Schuh. BA rank: 360

8th round, pick 241: Steve Wilkerson. Not ranked in BA's top 500

9th round, pick 271: Austen Anderson. Not ranked in BA's top 500.

Every single pick through round 9 is a reach according to BA's ranking. Connaughton and Scott are only slight reaches. The rest are major reaches.

Maybe someone who understands scouting better than I do can explain why BA's ranking is untrustworthy, and/or can produce another ranking that makes the O's picks look more reasonable.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3rd round, pick 90: Brian Gonzalez. BA rank: 386

4th round, pick 121: Pat Connaughton. BA rank: 129

5th round, pick 151: David Hess. BA rank: 267

6th round, pick 181: Tanner Scott. BA rank: 184

7th round, pick 211: Max Schuh. BA rank: 360

8th round, pick 241: Steve Wilkerson. Not ranked in BA's top 500

9th round, pick 271: Austen Anderson. Not ranked in BA's top 500.

Every single pick through round 9 is a reach according to BA's ranking. Connaughton and Scott are only slight reaches. The rest are major reaches.

Maybe someone who understands scouting better than I do can explain why BA's ranking is untrustworthy, and/or can produce another ranking that makes the O's picks look more reasonable.

Picking a guy just a few picks ahead of the ranking is not a reach. You have guys that are in the top 50 that are not signable that are still sitting there. J>B. Bukauskas is a top 25 talent but has said don't draft me i want to go to college should we draft him and just ignore what he said. J.j. Swartz is going to go to college. Shane Benes is heading to Missouri no matter what. It is not like the NFl draft were if you are on the board you have to go to the pros.

Wonder if they are targeting an overslot in Round 11. Connaughton just doesn't (IMO) warrant significant overslot investment. He's highly underdeveloped at present, and a bunch of Midwest scouts don't think he'll ever throw a solid breaking ball. A lot depends on Rd 3 + 4 for Baltimore. Can't tell if they are freeing up $900 K with all of those JuCo/Sr signs for a huge splash in Rd 11 or if they are just playing their board.

Wonder if they are targeting an overslot in Round 11. Connaughton just doesn't (IMO) warrant significant overslot investment. He's highly underdeveloped at present, and a bunch of Midwest scouts don't think he'll ever throw a solid breaking ball. A lot depends on Rd 3 + 4 for Baltimore. Can't tell if they are freeing up $900 K with all of those JuCo/Sr signs for a huge splash in Rd 11 or if they are just playing their board.

Who do you think would be a nice over slot guy here. I like Gilliam peterson and Ryder

What could you possibly know about a Notre Dame college baseball prospect? I would agree that it's unclear at this point how their strategy is shaping up, but I'm sure they have one.

What could you possibly know about a Notre Dame college baseball prospect? I would agree that it's unclear at this point how their strategy is shaping up, but I'm sure they have one.

Without question there is a specific plan. If it's overslot I'd think it's a big overslot, otherwise you could just use like your fifth round pick to get there. Playing the board in this class isn't bad, and obviously that just comes down to the quality of your scouting/decision-making.

Without question there is a specific plan. If it's overslot I'd think it's a big overslot, otherwise you could just use like your fifth round pick to get there. Playing the board in this class isn't bad, and obviously that just comes down to the quality of your scouting/decision-making.

How are the O's scouts viewed in the scouting world? Are they considered competent, or are they a laughingstock in the industry? I'm sure you've heard things. :)

How are the O's scouts viewed in the scouting world? Are they considered competent, or are they a laughingstock in the industry? I'm sure you've heard things. :)

This draft does seem a lot different then last years though with so many college guys. We had been drafting high school guys with high upsides and tollsy guys more in the past.

What kind of strategy is it to overdraft a BUNCH of guys early, just to put most of your hopes in a more expensive guy later. The orioles over the last 5 years or so have little to nothing to show for paying overslot after the 10th round.

What kind of strategy is it to overdraft a BUNCH of guys early, just to put most of your hopes in a more expensive guy later. The orioles over the last 5 years or so have little to nothing to show for paying overslot after the 10th round.

The kind that involves no 1st/2nd round picks.

Didn't have a great rep, but doesn't mean they are bad or bad across the board. One evaluator got pretty well mocked for openly stating he didn't think Nick Gordon could stick at SS (he went fifth overall to Twins as SS and is generally viewed as a strong defender there with one of the best arms in the class).

Didn't have a great rep, but doesn't mean they are bad or bad across the board. One evaluator got pretty well mocked for openly stating he didn't think Nick Gordon could stick at SS (he went fifth overall to Twins as SS and is generally viewed as a strong defender there with one of the best arms in the class).

Thanks for the info. I wish they'd invest more in better scouts. Is it common for scouts to move from team to team? Do teams try to poach scouts from teams that are legendary in that department? I'm just trying to understand why it seems we always end up on the below average scale in this department.

Archived