More pitchers than we have spots for?

Seriously, we've already drafted 20 pitchers before Round 30 -- where do you put them all?

Well, since we are low on money, I guess the fact that multiple targets are available makes the negotiation process much easier.

They will have three of them in the outfield, one at first, another at third, maybe one at second.

Our first pick is a 1B by trade.....maybe do a reverse Mychal Givens on another......it's also possible we won't sign them all...;)

Well, since we are low on money, I guess the fact that multiple targets are available makes the negotiation process much easier.

Why would the team be low on money? This is one of the more profitable franchises in the majors w/a sweetheart deal w/MASN. They're not the Yankees, but they're not the A's either(BTW I wish the O's were half as good at drafting as Oakland is w/a lot less money). Money shouldn't be an issue w/the O's.

Why would the team be low on money? This is one of the more profitable franchises in the majors w/a sweetheart deal w/MASN. They're not the Yankees, but they're not the A's either(BTW I wish the O's were half as good at drafting as Oakland is w/a lot less money). Money shouldn't be an issue w/the O's.

I will take this nice and slow, try and follow along.

The owners and the players union engage in what is called collective bargaining.

The last time this occurred the two sides agreed to cap the amount that could be spent on draftees.

The amount that each team can spend is dependent upon how many and when their picks fall.

The O's traded their supplemental draft pick last summer for Bud Norris.

They forfeited their first round pick when they signed Ubaldo Jimenez.

They forfeited their second round pick when they signed Nelson Cruz.

With no picks before the third round the O's allotment of money to be used on draft picks "pool money" is the lowest of the thirty teams.

Teams can go beyond the stated allotment but since the penalties are based on the percentage over the pool they go over, the O's have less flexibility in going over the pool of any team.

Understand?

The owners and the players union engage in what is called collective bargaining.

The last time this occurred the two sides agreed to cap the amount that could be spent on draftees.

The amount that each team can spend is dependent upon how many and when their picks fall.

With no picks before the third round the O's allotment of money to be used on draft picks "pool money" is the lowest of the thirty teams.

Teams can go beyond the stated allotment but since the penalties are based on the percentage over the pool they go over, the O's have less flexibility in going over the pool of any team.

Understand?

I understand you're not mature enough to make your point without being a condescending pr**k

Understand?

But the O's reached for so many guys in rounds 3-10 that it's hard to see them even spending their allotment.

I understand you're not mature enough to make your point without being a condescending pr**k

:D

Well if you can't be bothered to keep up with the draft and instead want to ignorantly attack the team's willingness to spend money then yea, I don't mind having a bit of fun at your expense.

If you had simply asked about the money, instead of going on a mini-rant about MASN then I would have been glad to help without the added snark.

But the O's reached for so many guys in rounds 3-10 that it's hard to see them even spending their allotment.

Any money from the pool not spent on the first ten can be spent on any pick(s) after that.

Archived