Who stands out in our draft?

I'm ignorant to baseball scouting and the make up of who we took. I'm aware we sacrificed our top three picks leaving us picking later than most teams.

What's the 411 on Gonzalez? I'm reading that he was drafted as a pitcher but has the build of a 1B and could play there too. Do we like this pick?

Are there any other stand outs I should know about? I'm reading through some of these threads and it seems as though a word cloud of the entire draft would have the word "REACH" in big bold letters.

Are there any international free agents I should know about? Any unsigned players that dropped from being drafted because of concerns about health, make up, or signability?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Gonzalez. Keith Law likes Gonzalez. Gary Rajsich likes Gonzalez. A couple other sources rated him as a first baseman, and people reading those sources immediately labeled him a reach.

Most of these guys don't have a lot of video available on them so it's hard to say who stands out to me. Just from reading reports, David Hess (5th round) sounds like a good get. Brandon Bonilla could be one to watch as well, and not just for his last name. As always, any high schoolers after the 10th round are worth a closer look.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-07/sports/bal-orioles-rajsich-likes-going-deep-in-the-mlb-draft-20140607_1_gary-rajsich-the-orioles-first-10-rounds

“We got deeper into the draft than we had the previous two years,” he said. “This year, the time allowed us to do that. Not having the time to spend on those first 50 or 60 picks allowed us to focus on down into the 11th, 15th round a little more.”

I like Gonzalez. Keith Law likes Gonzalez. Gary Rajsich likes Gonzalez. A couple other sources rated him as a first baseman, and people reading those sources immediately labeled him a reach.

Most of these guys don't have a lot of video available on them so it's hard to say who stands out to me. Just from reading reports, David Hess (5th round) sounds like a good get. Brandon Bonilla could be one to watch as well, and not just for his last name. As always, any high schoolers after the 10th round are worth a closer look.

Brandon was academically unable to play this year. Made him hard to scout and the Orioles put in due diligence.

Looks to me on the surface to be a draft in search of some solid contributors. No big aggressive moves; played their board and looked for value. Will all come down to how good the scouting was and how good the development will be.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bal/baltimore-orioles-follow-through-on-plan-to-restock-arms?ymd=20140607&content_id=78688884&vkey=news_bal<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

So pitching is the weakness of the O's farm system.

Just wondering... what's the strength?

Did some research. Here's the guys drafted after round 10 that could be nice additions if they sign:

Jean Cosme - Puerto Rico HS righty, PG loves him, BA had him fifth among Puerto Rican prospects. Projectable frame, hits low-90s, shows decent curve. No college commitment. Not sure what that means but it could mean he signs.

Gage Burland - Gonzaga commit, big, athletic frame, PG says "easy" low-90s, saw a real nice curve on video. PG says he has some feel for a change but I didn't see it. Doubt he signs, but you never know. Ayers signed last year.

Brandon Koch - UC Riverside commit, ideal body, good mechanics, movement on FB. PG only has him at 87 but with his frame (6'5, 200) there's a good chance he could see a big jump. Got interest from basically a who's who of top college programs, including LSU, Cal Poly, UCLA, Fullerton, USC, Oregon, and Indiana. Probably would be best served going to college, but if he signs, he could be one to watch.

Hunter Hart - Indiana commit, out with a knee injury, will throw for O's scouts before they make him an offer. 6'3, 180, PG has him up to 90 but sitting around 86-88. Another guy who'd probably improve his draft stock considerably by going to college, but the O's could get a bargain if teams passed on him because of the knee.

Now THAT is some top level prospect analysis right there folks! :D:P:rofl:

Yeah - you can count on Frobby! We need another two Brandons since the other ones we had (Fahey - sorry JustD - and Snider from NOVA) didn't measure up. I like "Jean" like Segura of the Brew Crew. Some other good names we drafted are: Tanner, Tucker, Keegan and Zeke. We've had a bunch of Zach's (two left?). Let's get a start on Zeke! :beerchug1:

Yeah - you can count on Frobby! We need another two Brandons since the other ones we had (Fahey - sorry JustD - and Snider from NOVA) didn't measure up. I like "Jean" like Segura of the Brew Crew. Some other good names we drafted are: Tanner, Tucker, Keegan and Zeke. We've had a bunch of Zach's (two left?). Let's get a start on Zeke! :beerchug1:

Hang on, you might just be on to something here, do we have any Claytons ?

Brian Gonzalez as a hitter (which is where I had him more highly ranked earlier this spring):

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBBoEWpJic?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBBoEWpJic?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Brian Gonzalez as a hitter (which is where I had him more highly ranked earlier this spring):

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBBoEWpJic?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBBoEWpJic?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So, he is the anti Nick Markakis?

Archived