Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

Running with an idea I first read this morning in Roch's blog I'll put it out there that Jimenez needs to go to the pen. I still think Buck will go with the 6 man rotation, in which he will rotate a starter (probably Jimenez or Gonzalez for now), until the it's settled.

Or not. Either way, I found it interesting that a scout outside the organization suggested that Jimenez be moved to the pen to figure out whatever mechanical issues he may be having.

"A scout from outside the organization raved about Gausman and is rooting for a similar outing tonight, hoping that the kid can establish himself in the majors. He also suggested that the club should put Ubaldo Jimenez in the bullpen and allow him to work through any mechanical issues, with assurances that he'd rejoin the rotation once he's producing better results."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/06/big-night-for-gausman.html

I didn't like the Jimenez deal from the get-go and his mechanics were one of the main reasons why. There's no doubt when he's on he has filthy stuff so I'd like to get him fixed since we have him potentially for the next three and a half years. If a temporary move to the BP can get him moving in the right direction then why not?

Let's look at some of his numbers.

His walks per 9 innings is what jumps out at me. Very similar to what he did with the Indians in 2012.

2014 BB/9 5.14

2012 BB/9 4.82

His WHIP is also elevated around the same as it was that year.

2014 1.53

2012 1.61

His FIP (4.53) and xFIP (4.19) are both lower than the ERA (5.01) but teams really don't have to do very much when he continues to walk so many people. To me, that's what is killing him. The walk rate has to come down.

I always think of Ubaldo as a pretty decent guy, but he's been a starter save for 2 IP back in 2006 with the Rockies. I wonder how he would take to a move like that.

Thoughts?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Tillman get a pass because he pitched pretty well in his most recent start?

Nah, he get's a pass because I like him best.

I'm kidding. Their numbers are very similar, but if they are going with the six man rotation it could be he's the odd man out depending on the week. Tillman has better walk rates than Ubaldo but his are up this year, too. And no i don't think it's because he misses Adair.

You agree with C_o_c that the contract makes it difficult for them?

The contract would be the only reason. Look at the numbers. Now I truly hope that Jimenez finds his groove and starts pitching like he did in the second half last year, because I fear that he will implode in about 50 percent of his starts which will single handedly destroy the bullpen and kill our chances of competing. Gonzalez is going to be the much more consistent and reliable starter, if you are looking at this from a practical point of view. Jimenez potentially could be the higher performer if he gets his mechanics lined out, but that is very Iffy.

Absolutely. No way he goes to the pen. That's baseball politics 101. However, you could also make the case, because of his command issues, that he's the worst one to send to the bullpen. You live and die with Ubaldo in the rotation and hope you live.

I agree with the scout. Hopefully in the pen it's in small doses until he gets on track and you can convince him that Chiti and Wallace can give him the kind of one on one attention he received with the guy in Cleveland.

Another thing, I've looked repeatedly at Tillman's games and if there's a mechanical difference from 2012 to now I can't see one. Maybe, and I mean maybe, he might be slightly more closed towards to home plate than he was compared to now but it's degrees.

With Jimenez there are so many moving parts it's hard to nail down. However, if he starts and they go with the 6th guy as long relief when it's his turn I suppose it could work as long as Buck does his Sparky Anderson routine.

How are you going to know that Jimenez is back on track in the bullpen? He's good for innings and even games at a time now. Gonzalez is a guy who could be dominant out of the bullpen, or go back and forth to give the starters an extra day. In addition, Gonzalez has never started in the majors over a full season and has needed extra rest each of the last two years. He's good. He's just not durable. That's my guess. Jimenez stays in the rotation. Gonzalez is used as a swingman who can also pitch out of the pen.

Are you talking about the one or two starts he's missed? Because he made 28 starts compared to Jimenez who made 32. Jimenez pitched 182 innings compared to Gonzo's 171. They both are the same for IP per game at 6.0 for their careers with Gonzo a little better this year at 5.7 to Jimenez 5.4.

Jimenez eats up the BP and has been wholly inconsistent. The only one who is close to him in my mind numbers wise is Tillman. As I said, though, since Buck has already hinted at the idea of a 6 man rotation then it may not be as far fetched as you think.

Archived