Please, don't use ad blocking on this site

Tony-OH

Hangouters,

I know some people are using browser addons to cancel out ads but I would ask you add an exception for this site. Ads are the lifeblood that allows us to bring you this forum and site and the more people that go towards these addons, the harder it will be to bring you these services for free.

We have ensured all of our networks do not include "automatic audio" and no ads should redirect you to any site. We will never employ pop ups or pop unders as well. We've worked hard to make the ads as non-intrusive as we can and will continue to do so, but please help us by allowing the ads.

Honestly, I've seen some interesting products on them and have clicked on them myself to check them out and bought some things I would not have known about.

In the end, we don't want to ads to take away from your experience, but we need those ads to show up. In fact, we are considering getting rid of our plus memberships if our ad revenue can improve. That can only happen with your help.

Thanke for the consdieration and for being a member or our community.

- Tony

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hangouters,

I know some people are using browser addons to cancel out ads but I would ask you add an exception for this site. Ads are the lifeblood that allows us to bring you this forum and site and the more people that go towards these addons, the harder it will be to bring you these services for free.

We have ensured all of our networks do not include "automatic audio" and no ads should redirect you to any site. We will never employ pop ups or pop unders as well. We've worked hard to make the ads as non-intrusive as we can and will continue to do so, but please help us by allowing the ads.

Honestly, I've seen some interesting products on them and have clicked on them myself to check them out and bought some things I would not have known about.

In the end, we don't want to ads to take away from your experience, but we need those ads to show up. In fact, we are considering getting rid of our plus memberships if our ad revenue can improve. That can only happen with your help.

Thanke for the consdieration and for being a member or our community.

- Tony

THANK YOU!

I too have clicked on some of the ads because of their intrigue (something that I do not do elsewhere typically), especially that t-shirt manufacturing advert that was up for a while. Personally, I don't mind a "tailored" internet experience that may involve ads for products I have searched for online. I buy into google (use a Nexus7, Nexus5, multiple chromecasts, etc) because I like where I spend most of my waking weekday time to be a seamless, personalized experience.

But auto audio on banner or sidebar ads crosses the line IMO. So thanks for opting to avoid those.

Interesting topic. The internet is moving to most people blocking all Ads. The different Ad software makes it way too easy now. I do agree however we need to support the site and clearly you are trying to make sure these ads don't negatively affect our experience or computers.

It is a very interesting topic to me since I've been in IT since the 1980s.

You don't even need special software to stop the ads. Depending on your browser, you can apply list to stop ads, tracking, collection scripts, etc...

I am using two lists to specifically target specific concerns (but not all ads) and most of the ads are blocked.

In the end, the advertisers will lose this battle, it's already happening now. As for disabling my 2 list, I'll have to give that some thought.

I'm not at 500 posts and haven't made any decisions as of yet, but I'd rather pay twice the cost to join and block the ads.

This puts site owners in an uncomfortable position and I feel for them. They should have knowledge of what sites (companies) are in what lists. These lists are also used with ad blocker software.

THANK YOU!

But auto audio on banner or sidebar ads crosses the line IMO. So thanks for opting to avoid those.

No problem. They paid well but it made the user experience crappy. It's very important to me to keep the user experience as pleasent as possible for as many people as possible. I know I'm never going to make everyone happy, but it's a priority to me to make the experience something you want to hangout at all day! (see what I did there?)

Archived