Adam Jones is The Man

Rene88

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Underrated. Constantly improving and working on things. Reliable. Clutch. A class act. Great CFer. Possible HOFer.

We are lucky he is an Oriole.

Thanks AJ.

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are about 140 HOF position players. The median rWAR total of those 140 through age 28 is about 32. Adam Jones will have something like 24 rWAR through this year. Maybe he has a better case than I thought.

He's been about as valuable as Charlie Gehringer, Kirby Puckett and Harmon Killebrew at that age. But also, he's been somewhat less valuable through 28 than Jose Canseco, Tony Fernandez, Lenny Dykstra, Jimmy Rollins, Fred Lynn, Willie Wilson, and way behind Buddy Bell, Chuck Knoblauch, Jim Fregosi, Cesar Cedeno, and Alan Trammell.

I'd guess about 1/10th of players with Jones' career through 28 end up in the Hall.

I'd guess about 1/10th of players with Jones' career through 28 end up in the Hall.

That is pretty good. Still, I'd bet much less considering his longer term viability in CF and offensive limitations. That said he could be an exceptional right fielder at some point.

I like AJ, but I don't think he has any real shot at the Hall.

I'd think he has to keep his pace up that's started in 2012 through his age 33 season to be considered. Hope for an MVP somewhere in there. But still more of a Hall of Very Good player. Still a huckuva player, and likely the best player we have.

Underrated. Constantly improving and working on things. Reliable. Clutch. A class act. Great CFer. Possible HOFer.

Thanks AJ.

That is all.

He's a great ballplayer.

ESPN has a Bill James favorite toy calculator. A fun/junk thing James came up with many years ago to predict a player's chance of reaching a milestone. By that method (and assuming his 2014 totals will be double what he has now) Jones has a 20% chance at 3000 hits. 14% chance at 500 homers. 27% chance at 1500 runs, slightly lower chance at 1500 RBI.

I think that lines up pretty well - he has maybe a 10-20% chance of having a HOF career, somewhat lower chance of actually being inducted because the HOF is screwed up and won't face many organizational/structual problems like what to do with the huge backlog of players from the 1990-2010 era, and the somewhat related expansion timebomb.

Thanks AJ.

That is all.

By whom? He's considered around the nation as the face of the team and recognized as one of the top players in the game. I've heard people here call him one of the best 15 players in the game! :eek:

MLBN had him ranked at number 21 in top 100 players right now. Even with the pitchers included! He was 52nd in rWAR last year among position players only, 48th in 2012, and so far this year he's 35th. He's also 5th in the All-Star voting in front of more deserving guys in Brantley and Gordon, and made the team as a starter last year despite being 8th among AL outfielders in rWAR. He also made the team in 2012 despite being 11th.

I don't know how anyone could call that underrated.

I'm not an expert when it comes to WAR and how to use the website ...

But when I plug him in, in 2014, he's 3rd among CFs in both batting and fielding (ahead of Trout, here).

Batting, his offensive WAR is 10th among all players, ahead of the 2013 AL and NL MVPs

23rd among all position players in defensive WAR, which seems pretty good.

To me, judging him by WAR, he seems like one of the more valuable players in the game. I could be wrong.

I'm not an expert when it comes to WAR and how to use the website ...

But when I plug him in, in 2014, he's 3rd among CFs in both batting and fielding (ahead of Trout, here).

Batting, his offensive WAR is 10th among all players, ahead of the 2013 AL and NL MVPs

23rd among all position players in defensive WAR, which seems pretty good.

To me, judging him by WAR, he seems like one of the more valuable players in the game. I could be wrong.

I have been warned to never even insinuate that I think that Mike Trout is the most wonderful player of all time, or risk branding myself as a Hawk Harrelson clone.

By whom? He's considered around the nation as the face of the team and recognized as one of the top players in the game. I've heard people here call him one of the best 15 players in the game! :eek:

MLBN had him ranked at number 21 in top 100 players right now. Even with the pitchers included! He was 52nd in rWAR last year among position players only, 48th in 2012, and so far this year he's 35th. He's also 5th in the All-Star voting in front of more deserving guys in Brantley and Gordon, and made the team as a starter last year despite being 8th among AL outfielders in rWAR. He also made the team in 2012 despite being 11th.

I don't know how anyone could call that underrated.

I agree, there's no underrating of Adam Jones, three time All Star and three time Gold Glove winner. His defense as we know may be overrated by that measure. And I don't care about his HOF chances right now -- I want him to lead his team to as many World Series opportunities as possible.

Archived