(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

Is slowly but surely getting better with the bat in his hand. In the month of June he is hitting .250/.308/.400.

He is also getting better at taking walks - 1 BB in 14.9 ABs this year compared to 1 BB in 23 ABs last year.

With his knee injury costing him spring training and his slow start I think Machado is going to have a much better 2nd half - this will be a key to us winning the division.

• Upvote 1

Good post. He is gaining some traction. He looks pretty comfortable fielding and base running now too.

He has looked a lot better lately. I know people were wondering about is health with the knee and it seemed to me that it was a bit more mental health with the knee that was an issue. He seemed to be a bit timid with making some movements. The play to me that sticks out was the double play ball in which Davis fired back to third to get Reyes and Manny looked like he got his cleats stuck and knee kinda buckled. He was kinda looked down at it but then seemed to be fine. That may have given him the confidence that the knee was heeled and he was ready to go full out. Since that game he is hitting over .300. It's like a football player after injury until you get hit good one time you are timid and once you do and get right up you can get back to playing the way you did before.

Is slowly but surely getting better with the bat in his hand. In the month of June he is hitting .250/.308/.400.

He is also getting better at taking walks - 1 BB in 14.9 ABs this year compared to 1 BB in 23 ABs last year.

With his knee injury costing him spring training and his slow start I think Machado is going to have a much better 2nd half - this will be a key to us winning the division.

I hope so. When is his suspension?

He has looked a lot better lately. I know people were wondering about is health with the knee and it seemed to me that it was a bit more mental health with the knee that was an issue. He seemed to be a bit timid with making some movements. The play to me that sticks out was the double play ball in which Davis fired back to third to get Reyes and Manny looked like he got his cleats stuck and knee kinda buckled. He was kinda looked down at it but then seemed to be fine. That may have given him the confidence that the knee was heeled and he was ready to go full out. Since that game he is hitting over .300. It's like a football player after injury until you get hit good one time you are timid and once you do and get right up you can get back to playing the way you did before.

The other important aspect of that play was him showing concern for Reyes after the play. Reyes was a little shaken up having slid into Manny's shin.

I think Manny will get his OPS over .700 before all is said and done. I agree he has looked better in June than he did in May, and he's been pretty good the last two weeks or so. He went 0 for 17 after the first game of that Oakland series -- he really got into a funk that weekend.

It is very possible that MLB's ruling won't be announced today.

Thats correct. It's looking like MLB will not make a ruling until the weekend.

Just for comparison....

bat.gif?w=614

No suspension, $50K fine.

then this happened last year (not MLB)....

54cd5928-b94f-40aa-90ca-226374dfc471_batthrow080813b.gif

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/hitter-throws-bat-pitcher-getting-beaned-collegiate-summer-232055550.html