Bryce Harper "Prima Donna" per Mike Wise

Whammer

Knucklehead Harper opened his mouth again. After missing most of the season due to injury (one HR, ten RBI for the season), Bryce went public with his opinion that Matt Wms. should leave RZimm in LF and move himself to CF (essentially benching D. Span). Also opined that he should be batting in the middle of the order - not 6th where Wms has him penciled in.

Pretty scathing article by Mike Wise in the Post. Says his teammates are getting tired of his act and he should start "acting the part of a young big leaguer instead of an aspiring prima donna". Wow - pretty powerful words considering the Nats beat writers typically praise worship on guys like Harper and Strasburg.

The guy's obviously talented but personally I can't stand him. I think some of his teammates are feeling the same way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-is-still-just-21-years-old-but-he-needs-to-stop-acting-like-hes-12/2014/07/01/6abfc904-0162-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html

• 3 weeks later...
Knucklehead Harper opened his mouth again. After missing most of the season due to injury (one HR, ten RBI for the season), Bryce went public with his opinion that Matt Wms. should leave RZimm in LF and move himself to CF (essentially benching D. Span). Also opined that he should be batting in the middle of the order - not 6th where Wms has him penciled in.

Pretty scathing article by Mike Wise in the Post. Says his teammates are getting tired of his act and he should start "acting the part of a young big leaguer instead of an aspiring prima donna". Wow - pretty powerful words considering the Nats beat writers typically praise worship on guys like Harper and Strasburg.

The guy's obviously talented but personally I can't stand him. I think some of his teammates are feeling the same way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-is-still-just-21-years-old-but-he-needs-to-stop-acting-like-hes-12/2014/07/01/6abfc904-0162-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html

Nationals sailed to sign second and nonetheless round picks.

• 1 month later...
o

Bryce Harper Facing Growing Pains

(By Jerry Crasnick)

Injuries and inconsistent play continue to plague Nationals' 21-year-old slugger.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11419088/rough-road-continues-washington-nationals-bryce-harper

I love how Crasnick's only comparison to Manny is the bat throwing incident while he compares his other contemporaries with their on the field failures. Trout is the only one acknowledged as clearly better than Harper.

First of all, I do think Harper is a prima donna and, for that matter, a jerk.

But second, I wouldn't make too much of the relatively poor season he's had. He still has tremendous physical talent, and he plays the game hard (maybe too hard for his physical well being, at times). If he stays in one piece, eventually he'll mature into a perennial all-star. I say that even though I really don't like the guy.

First of all, I do think Harper is a prima donna and, for that matter, a jerk.

But second, I wouldn't make too much of the relatively poor season he's had. He still has tremendous physical talent, and he plays the game hard (maybe too hard for his physical well being, at times). If he stays in one piece, eventually he'll mature into a perennial all-star. I say that even though I really don't like the guy.

I suspect a vast majority of the ball players are jerks, no matter what the sport is, that none of us would like to throw back a cold one with.

Throughout their sport careers from little league, high school and some cases, college, they are cuddled and having lots of people blow smoke up their butts telling them how great they are, and they pick up this entitlement era about them.

I suspect a vast majority of the ball players are jerks, no matter what the sport is, that none of us would like to throw back a cold one with.

Throughout their sport careers from little league, high school and some cases, college, they are cuddled and having lots of people blow smoke up their butts telling them how great they are, and they pick up this entitlement era about them.

Honestly, that's just not true. The vast majority of players I've covered or talked to over the years seemed like good guys. The jerks really do stand out.

Archived