+ Reply to Thread
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm surprised Buck used both O'Day and Britton tonight for the third game in a row

Presumably neither O'Day nor Britton will be available for tomorrow's day game. I'm surprised Buck burned both while holding a three run lead. Maybe he figured our odds of having a lead to protect on Friday aren't very good.

Just a long fly ball from Tropicana field
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Presumably neither O'Day nor Britton will be available for tomorrow's day game. I'm surprised Buck burned both while holding a three run lead. Maybe he figured our odds of having a lead to protect on Friday aren't very good.
    Maybe he wanted to get on the plane as soon as possible. Hard to believe they have day games in Boston following night games elsewhere twice in the same season. Who dreamed this up?

BOY HOWDY me too! O'Day I could see. I thought he should give Hunter the 9th. He needed the work. ZB needed the rest. Not sure how stout we are going into the Boston series. Rainout would be WELCOME tomorrow!

gmelson26 is offline Plus Member Since 7/14 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm banking on it being postponed.

CA-ORIOLE is offline Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    A little surprised too, but good for Buck imo. I think it was important to nail that win today.

Just a long fly ball from Tropicana field
    Quote Originally Posted by CA-ORIOLE View Post
    A little surprised too, but good for Buck imo. I think it was important to nail that win today.
    He probably read Frobby's post from this morning.

Buck didn't seem to know how they were getting to Boston in the press conference.

He probably figured it was worth it to burn up his pen and get to seven over and keep the momentum going.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Ding, ding, ding.

CA-ORIOLE is offline Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by mdbdotcom View Post
    He probably read Frobby's post from this morning.
    Maybe so.

ShoelesJoe is offline Plus Member Since 05/08 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by gmelson26 View Post
    I'm banking on it being postponed.
    Agreed. Forecast says 100% chance of rain, and I bet Showalter is betting we don't play again 'till Saturday. We use the BP studs tonight to get the win, and then fly to Bean Town in 1st place. Rest for a day and a half and then take on a slumping Red Sox team which has to brood for three days after being swept by the Cubbies.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Good thread, Frobby -- I was wondering this exact same thing. The weird thing is that Buck actually had Ryan Webb warming up in the 6th/7th, but then sat him down and had O'Day warm up, even though there was no change to the game circumstances. I wonder if perhaps Webb had some sort of nagging injury while he was trying to warm up. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to sit down Webb (who hadn't pitched the previous night) and bring in O'Day to pitch his third game in a row.

Bringing in Britton, unfortunately, was an example of a manager being a slave to the save rule (and Buck certainly isn't the only manager who does this). With a 3-run lead and the game pretty easily in hand, it would've been a good opportunity to use Webb (if not injured) or even Tommy Hunter to close things out and prevent Britton from pitching his third game in a row.

Of course, none of this matters much now that today's game has been rained out and everyone gets a day of rest. If Buck predicted that's what was going to happen, his powers are more impressive than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    Good thread, Frobby -- I was wondering this exact same thing. The weird thing is that Buck actually had Ryan Webb warming up in the 6th/7th, but then sat him down and had O'Day warm up, even though there was no change to the game circumstances. I wonder if perhaps Webb had some sort of nagging injury while he was trying to warm up. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to sit down Webb (who hadn't pitched the previous night) and bring in O'Day to pitch his third game in a row.

Bringing in Britton, unfortunately, was an example of a manager being a slave to the save rule (and Buck certainly isn't the only manager who does this). With a 3-run lead and the game pretty easily in hand, it would've been a good opportunity to use Webb (if not injured) or even Tommy Hunter to close things out and prevent Britton from pitching his third game in a row.

Of course, none of this matters much now that today's game has been rained out and everyone gets a day of rest. If Buck predicted that's what was going to happen, his powers are more impressive than I thought!
    All I know is that we somehow avoided Darvish and the game wasn't delayed after it started and we won. Thats HUGE. Also, we get a day of rest before the DH on Saturday, also huge. I'd be very happy with a split on Saturday, particularly because Gonzalez and UNpredictale Ubaldo are pitching against Boston's best.

Quote Originally Posted by CA-ORIOLE View Post
    He's been guessing right a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Bunches of HRs help make him smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Buck does not guess. He tells the weather God's what he wants and they submit