Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

With both of the Cubs options off the board, where do the O's look?

I personally think that they choose to stay put and work with what they have internally. Perhaps they might make a small move for the bullpen, but now I just can't see them making a move for a SP as other teams (NYY, TOR esp.) will gobble up whatever is left on the market now.

What say you all?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With both of the Cubs options off the board, where do the O's look?

I personally think that they choose to stay put and work with what they have internally. Perhaps they might make a small move for the bullpen, but now I just can't see them making a move for a SP as other teams (NYY, TOR esp.) will gobble up whatever is left on the market now.

What say you all?

I can see them going after someone like Suzuki or a 2B bat, as well as a RP.

I am not sure what is even out there that would be willing to pay for. Outside of Price, the only guy that I am interested in and was at least in the rumor mill for a bit in the offseason, was Sale. And I know they aren't going to deal what it takes for them.

Another guy I would love to have, who I would be stunned if he was traded, is Altuve.

I can see them going after someone like Suzuki or a 2B bat, as well as a RP.

I could see Suzuki coming to the O's. What is his defensive legacy at this point, because while his offensive numbers are appealing, Buck seems to only care about a catcher who can call a good game and throw runners out

My question is what do the Orioles really need?

Between Jimenez, Tillman, Chen, Norris, Gausman, and Gonzo the rotation seems alright to me.

LF is fine. DH is fine. 1B is Davis for better or worse. C is fine.

I don't like any of the available 2B. Maybe a RP or LH bench bat would be nice. But nothing serious.

My question is what do the Orioles really need?

Between Jimenez, Tillman, Chen, Norris, Gausman, and Gonzo the rotation seems alright to me.

LF is fine. DH is fine. 1B is Davis for better or worse. C is fine.

I don't like any of the available 2B. Maybe a RP or LH bench bat would be nice. But nothing serious.

A lefty reliever that can get out lefties and righties may be the big need that DD can fill with what is available on the market.

Price would be an obvious upgrade but doubtful that we can get him. Seth Smith is off the board as a LH DH/OF/pinch hitter. The only other area we could upgrade is 2B, maybe Chase Utley or Starlin Casto, but I don't see it. Schoop has started to hit better and has been fine defensively. At this point it is better to continue his development rather than go for a marginal upgrade that will cost us prospects. I don't really see any of the C's available as being that much better than Joseph and Hundley. I would mostly stay put right now and just count my lucky stars that Toronto did not get Samardzjia.

Price would be an obvious upgrade but doubtful that we can get him. Seth Smith is off the board as a LH DH/OF/pinch hitter. The only other area we could upgrade is 2B, maybe Chase Utley or Starlin Casto, but I don't see it. Schoop has started to hit better and has been fine defensively. At this point it is better to continue his development rather than go for a marginal upgrade that will cost us prospects. I don't really see any of the C's available as being that much better than Joseph and Hundley. I would mostly stay put right now and just count my lucky stars that Toronto did not get Samardzjia.
Schoop is starting to hit better? .516 OPS the last 28 days, .555 the last 14, .565 the last 7. I guess. :rolleyestf:

Chase Utley. :drools:

Yeah, he would solve both LH bat and 2B production issues. That contract of his is interesting -- $15 mil a year from 2016-2018 but he needs 500 plate appearances the previous season to qualify. If it weren't for that caveat I'd say "no way" but instead I wouldn't mind the team kicking the tires on that potential trade.

Schoop is starting to hit better? .516 OPS the last 28 days, .555 the last 14, .565 the last 7. I guess. :rolleyestf:

Yeah. .497 OPS the last 30 days. Flaherty has an .859 OPS in the same time frame. Flash needs to be getting a lot more playing time while he is hitting well and Schoop is practically a pitcher up there. See how long Flaherty can perform well. He's finished the season extremely well the past 2 seasons.

Interestingly enough, in those last 30 days, Davis and Cruz have been our 2 worst players, combining for -0.8 WAR, and Davis has actually hit better than Cruz. Pretty amazing that they're playing well with really only Jones and Pearce doing anything. Bodes well for when guys like Hardy, Nick, Davis, and Cruz heat up and Manny comes back!

Archived