Ex Oriole Pat Neshek

bpilktree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nesheck was selected to the All Star game and we couldn't even find a place on our roster a few years back. That shows hoe much pitching depth we have or how bad our front office is. lol

He's been a free agent minor leaguer sveral times since then. A Darren O'Day of sorts.

Nesheck was selected to the All Star game and we couldn't even find a place on our roster a few years back. That shows hoe much pitching depth we have or how bad our front office is. lol

Well since we all know about our pitching depth I'd guess this is about the mistake you think our FO made by trading him to the A's. He was a 31 year old side arming reliever who had struggled for the 3 years before we got him. He was pitching in AAA when our bullpen was pitching really well in 2012. Can't really fault the FO for trading him since at the time we really didn't need him. But I'm sure some will. :rolleyes:

Always liked him. Glad he's doing well. I don't care much about Simon, Hammel, Guthrie, Strop, etc. I thought the O's handled those things the right way and we've picked up some arms that worked out, too. Even Arrieta was someone that needed to move on. I do wish we had found a way for Koji and Nesheck to be here but the current pen is very good (well, Matusz drives me nuts but...).

Neshek is deserving to be an AS, but if you know his story, you'll root for him.Came back TWICE from TJ surgery, lost a child (son Gherig), less than 24 hours after he was born possibly because of a drug wrongly administered to him in the hospital. Pitched in grief in AL playoffs for Oakland. Now has a new born son who also had medical concerns , but now is out of danger.

Well said, Roy. That should be the story here. Good for Pat. It did not work out here, and that's not anyone's fault. But he has moved on and obviously done well, and overcome quite a few issues.

He's been a free agent minor leaguer sveral times since then. A Darren O'Day of sorts.

Being an O'Day clone was the main issue in him not getting too much of an opportunity with us as I recall. I think we also accomodated his request to be released as I don't believe he had an opt out.

MacPhail whiffed on Justin Turner, Dan Duquette whiffed on Pat Neshek. Pat Neshek was pretty much given to the A's (who were in the running for a Wild Card spot in 2012) for cash. Which made zero sense at the time. And still makes zero sense.

MacPhail whiffed on Justin Turner, Dan Duquette whiffed on Pat Neshek. Pat Neshek was pretty much given to the A's (who were in the running for a Wild Card spot in 2012) for cash. Which made zero sense at the time. And still makes zero sense.

^^^This.

It was a very under-the-radar move at the time that not many people talked about, but I think it was one of the biggest blunders Duquette made in his first year with the team (worse than the trades for Teagarden and Eveland).

^^^This.

It was a very under-the-radar move at the time that not many people talked about, but I think it was one of the biggest blunders Duquette made in his first year with the team (worse than the trades for Teagarden and Eveland).

Minnesota, SD, and Oakland all whiffed on Neshek too, then, since they all either lost him thru waivers or granted him free agency.

None of the players we traded for Teagarden, who served a good purpose his first year here, and for Eveland, who pitched 33.33 innings for the O's and now pitches for the Mets, have even a single appearance in big league ball.

He was accommodating the player which could easily pay dividends down the road.

Archived