Darren O'Day this Year.

BJSurhoff27

First post here, LONG time "lurker" here. Maybe I missed a previous post but any reason why O'Day hasn't gotten much time this year? Coming in this year I thought Buck would use him as the "go to" guy in the 'pen after the way he pitched the previous years, and the way he used him in the past. He always seemed effective, just confusing to me why he doesn't use him more this year after his previous years usage. I know its early and a SSS but he does have a 0.00 ERA with a good track record for the O's

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind him not being used a lot here early on. Just use him enough to keep him sharp. The last two years I feel like he was over used and wore down towards the end of the season. Now we can hopefully keep him fresh because we will definitely need him to be effective down the stretch this season. I think he also has lost innings here early on to Britton being able to be lights out for 2 to 3 innings at a time. Of course im sure we'd all like to see our starters be able to consistently go deeper in to games.

I don't mind him not being used a lot here early on. Just use him enough to keep him sharp. The last two years I feel like he was over used and wore down towards the end of the season. Now we can hopefully keep him fresh because we will definitely need him to be effective down the stretch this season. I think he also has lost innings here early on to Britton being able to be lights out for 2 to 3 innings at a time. Of course im sure we'd all like to see our starters be able to consistently go deeper in to games.

Welcome !

Do you think you can over work a sidewinder? I'd imagine the answer is yes. But they are durable and can be used multiple days/innings due to the easy arm action and the reduced wear and tear.

• 3 weeks later...

...and his name is Darren O' Day.

No, he doesn't have killer "stuff" - he's got an unorthodox delivery and never really got an opportunity in his career to close - but take a good look at his career numbers.

In a little over 6 seasons and a total of 321.2 IP entering last night, O'Day has earned the following rate stats:

ERA+ 173

WHIP 1.054

H/9 7.2

K/BB 3.46

Among the top 500 relief pitchers in history by the JAWS system... O'Day is 8th in ERA+. The top ten:

1) Craig Kimbrel (273) - 239.2 IP

2) Mariano Rivera (205) - 1283.2 IP

3) Billy Wagner (187) - 903.0 IP

4) Takashi Saito (185) - 338.0 IP

5) Jonathan Papelbon (184) - 574.1 IP

6) Koji Uehara (183) - 300.2 IP

7) Brad Ziegler (174) - 411.2 IP

8) Darren O'Day (173) - 321.2 IP

9) Joakim Soria (172) - 351.0 IP

10) Greg Holland (172) - 225.2 IP

Note that many of these pitchers like O'Day are active, and may have their rate stats drop as they age. Still, that's an impressive list. It accounts for 32 All-Star game appearances and counting... sadly, O'Day has zero. Because he doesn't close.

The point is, relief pitching is a volatile market as we know. O'Day has been really really good 4 of his last 5 seasons (his worst being his rookie season) and he's picked up where he left off so far in 2014 (knock on wood).

Last night O'Day tied his personal record with his second save of the year. I think the team should continue to use him in a spot closers' role so Tommy Hunter doesn't wear his arm and/or mind down like Jim Johnson did.

LINK to JAWS ratings page

Some Love for a Great Relief Pitcher

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY o

He has put up two terrific years for us and looks great so far this year. Great weapon to have in big situations, and really fun to watch. I can't think of anyone else in the league except maybe Koji who can dominate without throwing even 90 mph.

• 1 month later...
He doesn't get a lot wins.

He doesn't get a lot of saves.

He doesn't get paid the big bucks.

He just gets the job done, over and over and over again.

Darren O'Day.

O'Day has an option for next year but would not be opposed to extending him a year or two if he were interested.

Relievers are notoriously inconsistent, O'Day is rock steady though and that makes him very valuable IMO.

Archived