Boog Powell

CP0861

Why isn't his number retired?

I was looking over the retired numbers at a game recently.....and got to thinking.....why isn't Boog's number retired? He played in the glory days of Orioles Magic....put up huge numbers.....won an MVP (and finished 2nd in 1969 and 3rd in 1966).

Boog has been a fixture at OPACY since it opened, and I've had my picture taken with him and gotten his autograph on several occasions over the years, and he was always happy to do it....he's been gracious to fans and always has a smile on his face. Seems like a genuine great guy.

I realize he's not in the HOF as the others are, but is that the only reason?

I was looking over the retired numbers at a game recently.....and got to thinking.....why isn't Boog's number retired? He played in the glory days of Orioles Magic....put up huge numbers.....won an MVP (and finished 2nd in 1969 and 3rd in 1966).

Boog has been a fixture at OPACY since it opened, and I've had my picture taken with him and gotten his autograph on several occasions over the years, and he was always happy to do it....he's been gracious to fans and always has a smile on his face. Seems like a genuine great guy.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140707&content_id=83514588&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb' rel="external nofollow">

Because he tested positive for amphetamines and suspended 50 games.

Seriously, the Legend's Park is only for HOF Orioles. Ones with Orioles caps on their plaques. Same with retired numbers so far. I could see that changing.

Seriously, the Legend's Park is only for HOF Orioles. Ones with Orioles caps on their plaques. Same with retired numbers so far. I could see that changing.

is that the orioles "official" policy? or just coincidence that they have only retired the numbers of HOF orioles? It was decades ago, but I think Frank Robinson's number was retired while he was still an active player.

is that the orioles "official" policy? or just coincidence that they have only retired the numbers of HOF orioles? It was decades ago, but I think Frank Robinson's number was retired while he was still an active player.

Per wikipedia:

The Orioles will only retire a number when a player has been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but have placed moratoriums on other former Orioles's numbers following their deaths (see note below).

Note: Cal Ripken, Sr.'s number 7, Elrod Hendricks' number 44 and Mike Flanagan's number 46 have not been retired, but a moratorium has been placed on them and they have not been issued by the team since their deaths.

Yeah, HOF'ers only.

I did think it was a little strange, though, that at Eddie Murray's statue ceremony, just about every speaker made a point of emphasizing how Eddie was the best firstbaseman in franchise history, while Boog Powell sat 10 feet away. I mean, sure, Eddie was the best, but you know Boog had to be thinking, "wait, my teams won two World Series, I was the league MVP, I was beloved and they ran him out of town, etc."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>*Kramer's moviefone voice* "well why don't you just tell me what number isn't retired"</p>— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) <a href="

">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, HOF'ers only.

I did think it was a little strange, though, that at Eddie Murray's statue ceremony, just about every speaker made a point of emphasizing how Eddie was the best firstbaseman in franchise history, while Boog Powell sat 10 feet away. I mean, sure, Eddie was the best, but you know Boog had to be thinking, "wait, my teams won two World Series, I was the league MVP, I was beloved and they ran him out of town, etc."

Yeah....between Eddie Murray playing 1st more recently than Boog and having a HOF career (partially spent with other teams), and Frank Robinson becoming the face of the team during their late 60's and early 70's dominance (even though Frank only played 6 years with the Orioles)....I think Boog has gotten a raw deal. Retiring his number should be a no brainer.

Yeah, HOF'ers only.

I felt the same discomfort for Boog. He was a good man to have kept smiling through it all.

Yeah....between Eddie Murray playing 1st more recently than Boog and having a HOF career (partially spent with other teams), and Frank Robinson becoming the face of the team during their late 60's and early 70's dominance (even though Frank only played 6 years with the Orioles)....I think Boog has gotten a raw deal. Retiring his number should be a no brainer.

What isn't a no-brainer is figuring out where to draw the line. Depending on the criteria, you could also make a case for Cuellar, McNally, Belanger, Blair, Singleton, and Gentile, just to mention a few.

• Upvote 1

You can't retire everyones number. And when the league randomly retires a players number once already I think you need to limit the guys who get retired numbers. If you retire Boog what about Cuellar and McNally? Belanger and Blair?

You can honor Boog somewhere around the stadium without retiring his number. Name some area of the stadium after him. Make a special plaque near his barbecue. Have a Boog Powell day.

What isn't a no-brainer is figuring out where to draw the line. Depending on the criteria, you could also make a case for Cuellar, McNally, Belanger, Blair, Singleton, and Gentile, just to mention a few.

valid.....and just goes to show how rich the team's history is.

You can't retire everyones number.

yeah, obviously everyone realizes that.

but to only retire the numbers of the guys in the HOF seems snooty to me. as dominant as the team was in the 60's and 70's you've got 3 players from that era recognized. The Orioles are an old and storied franchise....why not recognize a few more guys?

but to only retire the numbers of the guys in the HOF seems snooty to me. as dominant as the team was in the 60's and 70's you've got 3 players from that era recognized. The Orioles are an old and storied franchise....why not recognize a few more guys?

Nah, retired numbers are for the best of the best. I scoff at teams like the Astros who have retired numbers for guys like Jimmy Winn, Jos? Cruz and Larry Dierker. Only 8 teams have retired the number more than one non Hall of Fame player.

They do, they call it the Oriole Hall of Fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles_Hall_of_Fame