+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The next five games will be crucial to determining the O's pitching staff

Dave Wallace was interview on 105.7 The Fan and when asked about ho would be in the rotation to start the second half he responded with the familiar "These things have a way for working themselves out by themselves". While that does happen, this decision may be the hardest one for Buck to make this year if an injury does not occur in the next five games.

Tillman, Gausman, Norris, Chen, Gonzalez and Jimenez all deserve a rotation spot in one manner or another.

Britton, O'Day, Webb, Hunter, Matusz, Brach and McFarland all play an important role in the O's pen.

Problem is there is one too many.

Buck just said this week that Gausman will be the rotation with no innings limits. Tillman, Chen and Jimenez can't be optioned. Norris and Gonzalez both have options but have pitched well enough to stay. A six man rotation is not really a good option. Buck has to decide on five.

The addition of Brach and McFarland to the roster have enabled the O's to go on a winning streak. To remove them may hurt the team. Some would say that Matusz has to go but he has no options. If one June outing is removed from his record where he was left in to soak up innings he has a 3.86 ERA. Certainly respectable.

So it comes down to the next five games. Who gets hurt? Who does not perform. And ultimately, who leaves that deserves to stay?

To me, Gonzalez has classic long man stuff. He goes to the pen and Brach is optioned.

This is with Jimenez on a short leash. If he struggles for a few more starts, he and Gonzalez switch places.

Lets not overvalue the contributions of the last two guys in the pen. Brach and McFarland have helped out largely by resting other guys.

They can ride the Norfolk/Bowie shuttle most easily, it has to be one of them.

Although I won't be surprised if they tried to push Matusz through waivers just to see if they can, or if they can make a trade.

oriole is offline Plus Member since 01/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'd like to see Gonzalez as another long guy type of pitcher. I think it's great that our bullpen has multiple multi inning guys considering our starters reputation for early exits. Not to mention he was lights out from the bullpen in 2012 when he first came to Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by srock View Post
    Lets not overvalue the contributions of the last two guys in the pen. Brach and McFarland have helped out largely by resting other guys.

Although I won't be surprised if they tried to push Matusz through waivers just to see if they can, or if they can make a trade.
    I think you are spot on.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If you put Gonzo in the pen, don't waste him as a long guy. Have him fill the role Britton held at the beginning of the year; coming in for 1-2 innings at a time in big situations. Probably after Chen and Jiminez, since they are usually not going deep into games.

BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by srock View Post

I agree with this sentiment. Probably send down Brach, simply because of the Lefty/Righty thing. He can ride the shuttle if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    If you put Gonzo in the pen, don't waste him as a long guy. Have him fill the role Britton held at the beginning of the year; coming in for 1-2 innings at a time in big situations. Probably after Chen and Jiminez, since they are usually not going deep into games.
    I agree, but I'm not sure Buck really uses a long guy in the traditional sense. He's not afraid to pitch Brach and TJ in pressure spots - they just happen to be able to go long. Buck is pretty good about resting his bullpen.

So if Gonzo goes to the 'pen, there's no question he'll be used in big spots, judging by how Buck has used Brach.

I think you need to find a way to get Chen that extra days rest. And possibly even Gonzales and Gausman as well. Gausman's innings need to be limited especially if we think we will make a deep run in the playoffs.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    Buck just said this week that Gausman will be the rotation with no innings limits.
    Do you have a quote? I remember Buck saying that they probably don't need to limit Gausman's innings anymore, but I
    don't remember him directly saying that Gausman would be in the second half rotation in the majors. It's possible he could pitch for Norfolk for a while.

I would certainly put Gausman in the big league rotation, but I'm not sure that's been guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    Do you have a quote? I remember Buck saying that they probably don't need to limit Gausman's innings anymore, but I
    don't remember him directly saying that Gausman would be in the second half rotation in the majors. It's possible he could pitch for Norfolk for a while.

I would certainly put Gausman in the big league rotation, but I'm not sure that's been guaranteed.
    I hope the Orioles don't make the mistake of not having Gausman in the rotation for the second half in the season.I can see limiting the innings and even keeping him eligible for a longer contract with the Orioles as reasons to keep him "down". There aren't any excuses in the second half. Pitch him. And pitch him regularly.

No they won't, it's a never ending process.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post

Here is what I was thinking of:

http://www.masnsports.com/media.php?show_id=2244416&p=2

You're right that Buck doesn't say he is in the rotation the rest of the year.

He does say that:

They are working it so Gausman is available to start the 2nd half.
    They have figured the innings so he can pitch through the playoffs.
    His use depends on how he pitches.

To me it sounds like Kevin is going into the rotation and pitch every 5th or 6th day through the first of September. Then with the expanded roster and 6 starters all the starters may get a extra days rest.
    Last edited by wildcard; 07-09-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't think the next five days are or should be that crucial to any decisions. Buck probably already knows what he wants to do based on the 89 games already played, and the next five will have only marginal influence. It isn't that easy of a decision, because none of our starters have been truly horrible.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    Dave Wallace was interview on 105.7 The Fan and when asked about ho would be in the rotation to start the second half he responded with the familiar "These things have a way for working themselves out by themselves". While that does happen, this decision may be the hardest one for Buck to make this year if an injury does not occur in the next five games.

Tillman, Gausman, Norris, Chen, Gonzalez and Jimenez all deserve a rotation spot in one manner or another.

Britton, O'Day, Webb, Hunter, Matusz, Brach and McFarland all play an important role in the O's pen.

Problem is there is one too many.

Buck just said this week that Gausman will be the rotation with no innings limits. Tillman, Chen and Jimenez can't be optioned. Norris and Gonzalez both have options but have pitched well enough to stay. A six man rotation is not really a good option. Buck has to decide on five.

The addition of Brach and McFarland to the roster have enabled the O's to go on a winning streak. To remove them may hurt the team. Some would say that Matusz has to go but he has no options. If one June outing is removed from his record where he was left in to soak up innings he has a 3.86 ERA. Certainly respectable.

So it comes down to the next five games. Who gets hurt? Who does not perform. And ultimately, who leaves that deserves to stay?
    That means exactly what it says. The current rotation is Tillman, Ubaldo, Chen , Gonzo, Norris. It will remain that way until something happens to change it. Barring injury nothing that happens the next 5 G will change that. When the decision to change the rotation happens it won't be a difficult one.