View Poll Results: Ubaldo in the playoffs?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • His volatility makes him worse in the playoffs

6 24.00%
  • Upside is more alluring because downside can be mitigated

11 44.00%
  • No difference between playoffs and regular season

8 32.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ubaldo in the playoffs

For argument's sake, lets assume that we make the playoffs and we go to a 3-man rotation in the playoffs that we have made and Ubaldo is one of the three starters. Is his volatility worse in the playoffs, easier to mitigate to best take advantage of his upside, or the same as it is in the regular season? Ostensibly two pitchers of the 5-man rotation will be available in relief, so does the ability to bring one of them if Ubaldo just doesn't have "it (for instance laboring through 3 with ~60 or ~65 pitches and just getting by on the seat of his pants) make him more alluring as a postseason starter vs. the regular season due to the ability to limit downside risk? I know there is a wide spectrum of opinions on here regarding Jimenez, but I think it is hard to deny that when he is on he is one of the best pitchers in the league. Obviously his "off" is not as infrequent as we would like.

I selected "Upside is more alluring because downside can be mitigated."
    Last edited by BohKnowsBmore; 07-09-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Make it clear this is all a hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by BohKnowsBmore View Post
    For argument's sake, lets assume that we go to a 3-man rotation in the playoffs that we have made and Ubaldo is one of the three starters. Is his volatility worse in the playoffs, easier to mitigate to best take advantage of his upside, or the same as it is in the regular season? Ostensibly two pitchers of the 5-man rotation will be available in relief, so does the ability to bring one of them if Ubaldo just doesn't have "it (for instance laboring through 3 with ~60 or ~65 pitches and just getting by on the seat of his pants) make him more alluring as a postseason starter vs. the regular season due to the ability to limit downside risk? I know there is a wide spectrum of opinions on here regarding Jimenez, but I think it is hard to deny that when he is on he is one of the best pitchers in the league. Obviously his "off" is not as infrequent as we would like.

I selected "Upside is more alluring because downside can be mitigated."
    Im for worrying about that if/when we get to the playoffs.

Let's get to the playoffs first.

He's 2-3 with a 3.54 ERA in the playoffs, but that's from '07 and '09.

BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    Im for worrying about that if/when we get to the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Let's get to the playoffs first.

He's 2-3 with a 3.54 ERA in the playoffs, but that's from '07 and '09.
    OK, clearly we need to make the playoffs first. This is simply a theoretical question about high-upside-high-downside pitchers in a playoff situation, using Ubaldo as our own example.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    o
    50-40 after tonight's game.

It's obviously a hypothetical question as a lot of posts on this forum are.

If he does not improve over the next 73 games, then no he is not in our playoff rotation.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't see how the O's would be able to get away with using just 3 starters in the postseason. That would only work in the ALDS, and only if it's a sweep. But otherwise the Orioles would need 4 starters unless somebody is starting on three days' rest.

That said, I could see a scenario where Ubaldo isn't in the playoff rotation. You could go with Tillman, Norris, Gausman, and Chen (in whatever order).

I am terrified every time he takes the mound and I don't think the pressure he we feel pitching in a playoff game will make him better. Not necessarily worse... but I am afraid.

MurphDogg is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    I don't see how the O's would be able to get away with using just 3 starters in the postseason. That would only work in the ALDS, and only if it's a sweep. But otherwise the Orioles would need 4 starters unless somebody is starting on three days' rest.

That said, I could see a scenario where Ubaldo isn't in the playoff rotation. You could go with Tillman, Norris, Gausman, and Chen (in whatever order).
    Yep, there is only one off day between game 1 and game 4 of all rounds of the playoffs so four starters are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Yep, there is only one off day between game 1 and game 4 of all rounds of the playoffs so four starters are needed.
    Even with four starters, that could be Tillman - Gausman - Norris - Ubaldo with Chen and Gonzo as relief. I guess the left-handedness of Chen is a factor there, though.

Going to a three man is almost always a bad idea in the playoffs.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Going to a three man is almost always a bad idea in the playoffs.
    Yeah. Most teams that do it are teams with a bona fide ace or two that they want starting as many games as possible, and who can go on 3 days' rest. The Orioles would probably be the most unlikely team to try using a 3-man rotation.

VeveJones007 is offline Plus Member Since December 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Exhibit A for why you take the chance that he'll be great in the playoffs:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340513101

While he isn't always an "ace," he can be one in a SSS.

Ask me the last week of September. And I'm going with your assumption we make it in. We have no idea who will be pitching well then. No idea who could be injured by then. *knocks wood*

Right NOW? I'd say Tillman and Norris yes. Very torn between Ubaldo and Chen.

Quote Originally Posted by scOtt View Post
    Ask me the last week of September. And I'm going with your assumption we make it in. We have no idea who will be pitching well then. No idea who could be injured by then. *knocks wood*

Right NOW? I'd say Tillman and Norris yes. Very torn between Ubaldo and Chen.
    Its all four of them.