+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too much of one flavor

The eventual starting rotation:

Gausman, Bundy, Jimenez, Norris, Tillman

That's a lot of the power right hander flavor for one rotation.

Would we not be better served with 1 or 2 change of pace lefties in there? Yes, I'm discounting Chen in this discussion.

mcneck is offline Plus Member since 06/11 Major Leagues Reputation
    That's also a lot of talent. I think we keep Chen over Norris if he is affordable. It will be interesting how this rotation thing plays out over the next few years .

Quote Originally Posted by Shabadoo25 View Post
    The eventual starting rotation:

Gausman, Bundy, Jimenez, Norris, Tillman

That's a lot of the power right hander flavor for one rotation.

Would we not be better served with 1 or 2 change of pace lefties in there? Yes, I'm discounting Chen in this discussion.
    I really think that Britton will be a starter again. He's healthy, has gotten his sinker command back and has gotten his confidence back. Plus we have Chen through 2015. Don't forget E-Rod, whom the O's seem very hesitant to include in any deals to make the Major league team better - They seem to hold him in high regard.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think that if Gausman and Bundy are solid in the rotation, we might see a trade of Tillman. He would be our best SP trade chip.

Quote Originally Posted by mcneck View Post
    That's also a lot of talent. I think we keep Chen over Norris if he is affordable. It will be interesting how this rotation thing plays out over the next few years .
    Man the way Norris has performed this year (and if he keeps it up) it will be hard to not consider resigning him.

UpstateNYfan is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I think that if Gausman and Bundy are solid in the rotation, we might see a trade of Tillman. He would be our best SP trade chip.
    I agree. What kind of return is possible for a Tillman? A young 3B, corner OF?

I doubt they trade him this offseason. But in 2016 we will need a C, 1B, a LHSP, plus. We will probably take care of an OF spot and a SS this offseason. Although if they traded him this off season they could probably have their pick of SS not named Tulo.
    Last edited by El Gordo; 07-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.

backwardsk is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's a good problem to have. Six starters from this season along with Bundy knocking on the door and Britton pushing to return to the rotation. I agree with El Gordo that Tillman would be the best trade chip, and I really like Tillman for the Orioles. If their best five are all righty power pitchers, so be it.

backwardsk is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I doubt they trade him this offseason. But in 2016 we will need a C, 1B, a LHSP, plus. We will probably take care of an OF spot and a SS this offseason. Although if they traded him this off season they could probably have their pick of SS not named Tulo.
    If you're the Rangers, would you trade Andrus for him? If you were the Cubs, would you trade Castro?

Tx Oriole is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - All-Star Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by mcneck View Post
    Why would you keep Chen over Norris? Norris is the better pitcher. IMO

Malike is offline Plus Member Since 5/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by backwardsk View Post
    If you're the Rangers, would you trade Andrus for him? If you were the Cubs, would you trade Castro?
    I'm pretty sure the Rangers would love to get out of the Andrus contract. He's being paid a lot of money. 8/118 million.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Malike View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Rangers would love to get out of the Andrus contract. He's being paid a lot of money. 8/118 million.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I know he's having a down year, but that contract is not bad if he continues to be a 3-4 WAR player. He's still young. Texas has two other middle infielders and little pitching, so it may be something they'd be willing to do. But I don't think his contract is too extreme.

Malike is offline Plus Member Since 5/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I know he's having a down year, but that contract is not bad if he continues to be a 3-4 WAR player. He's still young. Texas has two other middle infielders and little pitching, so it may be something they'd be willing to do. But I don't think his contract is too extreme.
    I just don't don't think they'd pay a 100M contract for any player.

Quote Originally Posted by Malike View Post
    I just don't don't think they'd pay a 100M contract for any player.
    I understand that position. But I believe they will at some point. Hopefully the first will be a Machado extension. I had trouble believing they'd go over $10/year for a pitcher until Jimenez was signed.

The Rangers would have to send along a pitching prospect and eat some of Andrus' contract, But they could use Tillman and they have Profar.