+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    brianod is offline Plus Member since 8/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Crucial question going into the break

Do we trade prospects to improve the major league club? Do we go for Lee or Ian Kennedy or David Price. Do we try for Zobrist, Murphy or a LF? I say no. DD has built our farm system from abysmal to average. We need to think long term. The goal should be to build our farm system into an elite status. We can't compete long term against the Yanks or Redsox unless we do this. It is very tempting to "go for it". But, I maintain the goal should be to be a top 7 team for 10 years, not be the best team for one year.

The one move I would be tempted to make is to get a top 10 catcher. I admit to not having done the research but Wieters future with this club is iffy at best. Also, after TJ surgery, his defense going forward is not assured. His offense has always been good, but given his potential coming out of college, it has been mildly disappointing. Does TJ surgery decrease his demands? Do we take that chance?

What if we were to Trade Wieters and a prospect to a losing team for a top ten catcher? Does that option exist? I have to admit, I don't know and I acknowledge trading a guy at a low point is usually a bad option. However, if you are going to lose him in a year anyway, it might be something to explore.

I think you keep Bundy/Gausman/Harvey but everyone else is game. Try to get Kennedy and Zobrist. EdRod, Berry, Wright should be available... Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Tillman, Gonzo, Norris, Jimenez, S. Johnson, and even McFarland are all top prospects or MLB caliber starters that we have under control for a few years. We can afford to lose EdRod, Berry, and/or Wright.

Birdland is offline Plus Member since 3/14 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy10 View Post
    I think you keep Bundy/Gausman/Harvey but everyone else is game. Try to get Kennedy and Zobrist. EdRod, Berry, Wright should be available... Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Tillman, Gonzo, Norris, Jimenez, S. Johnson, and even McFarland are all top prospects or MLB caliber starters that we have under control for a few years. We can afford to lose EdRod, Berry, and/or Wright.
    Agree the big 3 stay no matter what. Everything else can go.

If Tampa trades Price in division I'll eat my Orioles hat.

Scrat1 is offline Plus Member since 6/2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I like the guys we have and the position we're in. I don't think the Orioles necessarily need to make a move. DD should keep his eye on the market, however, in case he can get something for cheap right before the deadline, a la Cruz.

LayzieDES is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy10 View Post
    Can't say I wouldn't be pretty happy if they could swing trades for those two like that.

Would you guys trade bundy or Harvey + a few b prospects right now for price?

I'm just asking hypothetically.

I know I would.

Matusz will be the first of the roster to go if anyone goes. You can see that from a mile away.

What do we need?
    1. An ace-We don't just need another starter. Our team is loaded with 3's and 4's and maybe a 2. If we can't get a 1, it doesn't make sense to do the trade. Who is available? Can we take on their salary? I can't see us paying a Cliff Lee type salary to any pitcher. Can we give up what a team is looking for? Our big three pitchers, plus Machado is off the board, so who's left? We will also need to move at least one of our current starters to do it. Can they be part of the deal because of perhaps their low salary or years of control? What team has someone that fits this bill?
    2. A LHB with a good OBP. This is a major need for the offense right now, but the problem comes in when we ask where will they play. 2B and C are our biggest holes now, but I don't think DD wants to trade for a stud catcher as our pitchers are doing better with our catchers now; they are serviceable. Secondly, we do have Matt for next year and even if he goes, we have a ton of depth in the minors that "should" be able to be major league ready by then. The key is to get this bat to play 2B. How many of those out there are available and who do we trade for him? I suppose we could plug them into the OF if we were to trade someone like Pearce or Young away as part of the deal.
    3. 2B-This is still a need, even if your LHB is playing elsewhere. Schoop is not ready and Flaherty seems to be a UTL. Let's trade for a good young 2B and if we need to, you can season Schoop more and put he or Machado to SS next year if/when Hardy leaves.

tntoriole is offline Plus Member Since 7/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahama O's Fan View Post
    What do we need?
    1. An ace-We don't just need another starter. Our team is loaded with 3's and 4's and maybe a 2. If we can't get a 1, it doesn't make sense to do the trade. Who is available? Can we take on their salary? I can't see us paying a Cliff Lee type salary to any pitcher. Can we give up what a team is looking for? Our big three pitchers, plus Machado is off the board, so who's left? We will also need to move at least one of our current starters to do it. Can they be part of the deal because of perhaps their low salary or years of control? What team has someone that fits this bill?
    2. A LHB with a good OBP. This is a major need for the offense right now, but the problem comes in when we ask where will they play. 2B and C are our biggest holes now, but I don't think DD wants to trade for a stud catcher as our pitchers are doing better with our catchers now; they are serviceable. Secondly, we do have Matt for next year and even if he goes, we have a ton of depth in the minors that "should" be able to be major league ready by then. The key is to get this bat to play 2B. How many of those out there are available and who do we trade for him? I suppose we could plug them into the OF if we were to trade someone like Pearce or Young away as part of the deal.
    3. 2B-This is still a need, even if your LHB is playing elsewhere. Schoop is not ready and Flaherty seems to be a UTL. Let's trade for a good young 2B and if we need to, you can season Schoop more and put he or Machado to SS next year if/when Hardy leaves.
    1. Ace- We are not getting an ace without one of the "big three" being included. Forget it.
    2. A left handed bat- One of the only fits for this would be Zobrist. But see part one. We are not getting Zobrist without giving up one of Bundy, Gausman, Harvey. Catcher is not happening, either, as Buck is very pleased with the current tandem. The Orioles are likely losing Wieters and will get nothing but a draft pick in return.
    3. This is not happening either. Buck likes Flaherty and Schoop, period. End of story.

I do not see ANY trades this year with the significance even of the Feldman or Norris deals. Barring further injury, this is the team we are going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama O's Fan View Post
    What do we need?
    1. An ace-We don't just need another starter. Our team is loaded with 3's and 4's and maybe a 2. If we can't get a 1, it doesn't make sense to do the trade. Who is available? Can we take on their salary? I can't see us paying a Cliff Lee type salary to any pitcher.
    Name an ace, who would be on the market for a price we would be willing to pay, who doesn't make #1 starter money? See it's easy to say we need this and we need that. IF you're going to ignore the blatantly easy fact that the COST to acquire and the COST to pay that player is usually out of our reach. So unless you plan on being JTrea and using your Monopoly money to pay for a #1 starter. The only way we get one is if Bundy/Gausman/Hunter turn into one.

tntoriole is offline Plus Member Since 7/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    Matusz will be the first of the roster to go if anyone goes. You can see that from a mile away.
    And lower level prospects in return. Sad.

foxfield is offline Plus Member Since 9/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    The Thriving Metropolis of Burkeville, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_beckens View Post
    Name an ace, who would be on the market for a price we would be willing to pay, who doesn't make #1 starter money? See it's easy to say we need this and we need that. IF you're going to ignore the blatantly easy fact that the COST to acquire and the COST to pay that player is usually out of our reach. So unless you plan on being JTrea and using your Monopoly money to pay for a #1 starter. The only way we get one is if Bundy/Gausman/Hunter turn into one.
    I'll play, my radar always goes off when I see JTrea.

Answer: An Ace who is available for a price the Orioles are willing to pay at non Ace money.

Who are Bundy and Gausman?

I'll take Extraordinary Grasp of the Painfully Obvious for $400, Alex.

LA2 is offline Plus member - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Why on earth would the Rays trade Zobrist to a division rival?