+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 26
07-12-2014 11:18 PM #1
Crucial question going into the break
Do we trade prospects to improve the major league club? Do we go for Lee or Ian Kennedy or David Price. Do we try for Zobrist, Murphy or a LF? I say no. DD has built our farm system from abysmal to average. We need to think long term. The goal should be to build our farm system into an elite status. We can't compete long term against the Yanks or Redsox unless we do this. It is very tempting to "go for it". But, I maintain the goal should be to be a top 7 team for 10 years, not be the best team for one year.
The one move I would be tempted to make is to get a top 10 catcher. I admit to not having done the research but Wieters future with this club is iffy at best. Also, after TJ surgery, his defense going forward is not assured. His offense has always been good, but given his potential coming out of college, it has been mildly disappointing. Does TJ surgery decrease his demands? Do we take that chance?
What if we were to Trade Wieters and a prospect to a losing team for a top ten catcher? Does that option exist? I have to admit, I don't know and I acknowledge trading a guy at a low point is usually a bad option. However, if you are going to lose him in a year anyway, it might be something to explore.
07-12-2014 11:33 PM #2
I think you keep Bundy/Gausman/Harvey but everyone else is game. Try to get Kennedy and Zobrist. EdRod, Berry, Wright should be available... Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Tillman, Gonzo, Norris, Jimenez, S. Johnson, and even McFarland are all top prospects or MLB caliber starters that we have under control for a few years. We can afford to lose EdRod, Berry, and/or Wright.
07-12-2014 11:36 PM #3
07-12-2014 11:56 PM #4GCL O's
- Join Date
- May 2014
If Tampa trades Price in division I'll eat my Orioles hat.
07-13-2014 12:05 AM #5
I like the guys we have and the position we're in. I don't think the Orioles necessarily need to make a move. DD should keep his eye on the market, however, in case he can get something for cheap right before the deadline, a la Cruz.
07-13-2014 01:23 AM #6
07-13-2014 01:37 AM #7
Would you guys trade bundy or Harvey + a few b prospects right now for price?
I'm just asking hypothetically.
I know I would.
07-13-2014 03:24 AM #8
Matusz will be the first of the roster to go if anyone goes. You can see that from a mile away.
07-13-2014 03:24 AM #9
07-13-2014 07:38 AM #10
- Join Date
- Sep 2003
- Man-O-War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
What do we need?
1. An ace-We don't just need another starter. Our team is loaded with 3's and 4's and maybe a 2. If we can't get a 1, it doesn't make sense to do the trade. Who is available? Can we take on their salary? I can't see us paying a Cliff Lee type salary to any pitcher. Can we give up what a team is looking for? Our big three pitchers, plus Machado is off the board, so who's left? We will also need to move at least one of our current starters to do it. Can they be part of the deal because of perhaps their low salary or years of control? What team has someone that fits this bill?
2. A LHB with a good OBP. This is a major need for the offense right now, but the problem comes in when we ask where will they play. 2B and C are our biggest holes now, but I don't think DD wants to trade for a stud catcher as our pitchers are doing better with our catchers now; they are serviceable. Secondly, we do have Matt for next year and even if he goes, we have a ton of depth in the minors that "should" be able to be major league ready by then. The key is to get this bat to play 2B. How many of those out there are available and who do we trade for him? I suppose we could plug them into the OF if we were to trade someone like Pearce or Young away as part of the deal.
3. 2B-This is still a need, even if your LHB is playing elsewhere. Schoop is not ready and Flaherty seems to be a UTL. Let's trade for a good young 2B and if we need to, you can season Schoop more and put he or Machado to SS next year if/when Hardy leaves.
07-13-2014 08:01 AM #11
2. A left handed bat- One of the only fits for this would be Zobrist. But see part one. We are not getting Zobrist without giving up one of Bundy, Gausman, Harvey. Catcher is not happening, either, as Buck is very pleased with the current tandem. The Orioles are likely losing Wieters and will get nothing but a draft pick in return.
3. This is not happening either. Buck likes Flaherty and Schoop, period. End of story.
I do not see ANY trades this year with the significance even of the Feldman or Norris deals. Barring further injury, this is the team we are going with.
07-13-2014 08:02 AM #12
07-13-2014 08:03 AM #13
07-13-2014 08:36 AM #14Plus Member Since 9/12 Major League Starter
- Join Date
- Feb 2008
- The Thriving Metropolis of Burkeville, VA
07-13-2014 09:39 AM #15
Why on earth would the Rays trade Zobrist to a division rival?