+ Reply to Thread

Camden Depot: Starting Pitcher Rentals

Jon Shepherd

All of the players featured in the table below have contracts set to expire at the end of the year. While the Orioles could certainly target players like Bud Norris in 2013 who offered multiple years of team control, I?m working with the rental assumption. While I was very tempted to just throw in David Price and Max Scherzer to this table, they would likely command Gausman and Bundy + mid-tier prospect/PTBNL. While those pitchers would likely have the greatest impact down the stretch; it is extremely unlikely this club would part ways with both prospects for a 3 month rental.

I like Masterson's GB%, his K:BB is terrible and his FIP is ehh. His ERA might drop a bit with the O's infield behind him and get him closer to his career ERA+. His FIP is pretty close to his Career Avg though, so a little more stats would help tell why he's so far off his career ERA+.

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    I like Masterson's GB%, his K:BB is terrible and his FIP is ehh. His ERA might drop a bit with the O's infield behind him and get him closer to his career ERA+. His FIP is pretty close to his Career Avg though, so a little more stats would help tell why he's so far off his career ERA+.
    Hits per 9 is up 1.0 BB/9 is up 1.4. An uptick in K/9 rate is hiding the extra baserunners.

Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Walks and BABIP sky rocketed. Pretty much it. Still throwing a ton of GB's with a real nice k rate. Barely averaging 5 innings per start.