Predictions for the West Coast Swing?

birdsfever82

I'm thinking the birds will go 4-6 on the road trip. They'll lose 2 of 3 to Oakland, Lose two of three to the Angels, and split the four game series with Seattle. I just think it's a really tough road trip to tackle right out of the break. If this happens, the O's will be 54-48 coming back home, and I think they'll still have a hold on the division by 2 or 3 games.

If this does happen, I can see DD making a splash with a trade for an SP and possibly a left handed bat by the trade deadline.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree with the morning guys on 105.7

This west coast swing isn't the all important trip that some want to make it out to be.

With the ten game cushion, they can still have a poor road trip and not end up in 2nd, four games back.

Of course, it would be idea to go 5-5 or even better than .500, but if they don't, there isn't any need for kool-aid drinking or knee jerk trades.

I tend to agree with the morning guys on 105.7

This west coast swing isn't the all important trip that some want to make it out to be.

With the ten game cushion, they can still have a poor road trip and not end up in 2nd, four games back.

Of course, it would be idea to go 5-5 or even better than .500, but if they don't, there isn't any need for kool-aid drinking or knee jerk trades.

I don't agree with making knee jerk trades either, but if there is a favorable deal to be made, I would feel much more comfortable with getting another starter and a left handed bat off the bench. I feel this team needs just a little more to compete with OAK/LA/SEA/DET to make a strong playoff push.

I don't agree with making knee jerk trades either, but if there is a favorable deal to be made, I would feel much more comfortable with getting another starter and a left handed bat off the bench. I feel this team needs just a little more to compete with OAK/LA/SEA/DET to make a strong playoff push.

I think DD is always open and willing to make roster changes, if he can upgrade the roster without too much of an impact on the farm.

I am glad it's after the break. Travel is not a problem. It's how well teams shake off the rust. In some ways it's like breaking ST camp (I'd love to get that West Coast swing then). I'm also wondering how ugly the Oakland series will be and is Manny going to be suckered in (A's have 3rd base dugout), try too hard and play stupid. 4-6 or 5-5 would be great and it will be over.

Here is my prediction based on matchups

7/18 Oakland Tilman vs Samardja Win

7/19 Oak Chen vs Hammel loss

7/20 Oak Gausman vs Gray loss

7/21 LA Norris vs Shoemaker win

7/22 LA Gonzo vs Santiago win

7/23 LA Tilman vs Weaver loss

7/24 Sea Chen vs Hernandez loss

7/25 Sea Gausman vs Young win

7/26 Sea Norris vs Elias win

7/27 Sea Gonzo vs Walker loss

If this does happen, I can see DD making a splash with a trade for an SP and possibly a left handed bat by the trade deadline.

4-6 on this brutal road trip is not a disaster. I would actually be pretty happy with going 5-5. DD will likely make a deal or two but it won't be because of a mediocre west coast trip.

We're going to sweep Oakland, book it. I'm not kidding.

Yep, but even better, we're sweeping the entire trip. Book it. They're gonna make Trout change his name to Flounder. They're gonna put Mike Scioscia on an all Esskay diet.

They're gonna start selling scrapple sandwiches and Natty Boh at Starbucks. All ya gotta do is ask for the Queen Felix special.

They're gonna rename the A's to the Oakland-Baltimore A's of Glen Burnieheim. The A's bullpen will be nicknamed the Cromwell/N. Linthicum Express.

I can't wait.

I predict we lose the first game and all hell breaks loose.

To have so many games off, followed by a loss is the perfect storm for this place to get real ugly. Especially if Davis goes 0-5 with 3 Ks.

Seriously though...

If the first half of the season is any indicator of how the second half may go, the Os will start slow but finish strong and have us all very optimistic about the homestand.

I think I sensed the team cooling off right before the ASG break despite a good W/L record, so perhaps the break came at a good time. I bet we get a little frustrated for a few weeks by what we initially see, but around 10 games in they elevate their play ball to where it was during the hot streak.

Archived