Ofelky Peralta

QBsILLEST1

For a guy who was supposedly throwing in the mid to high 90's, my expectations were reasonably high for him. To an extent, I was somewhat disappointed that he at the very least did not begin the year in the states in the GCL. However, figuring in the fact that he is so young, I was OK with the decision,but now, checking in to his statline after his first 25 pro innings, I have to say I am far from impressed.

There is absolutely no way his arm currently throwing as hard as advertised.

Through 25.1 innings, his K/9 is 4.97 while his BB/9 is an unbearably horrible 8.88.

Anyone know whats going on down there?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a guy who was supposedly throwing in the mid to high 90's, my expectations were reasonably high for him. To an extent, I was somewhat disappointed that he at the very least did not begin the year in the states in the GCL. However, figuring in the fact that he is so young, I was OK with the decision,but now, checking in to his statline after his first 25 pro innings, I have to say I am far from impressed.

There is absolutely no way his arm currently throwing as hard as advertised.

Through 25.1 innings, his K/9 is 4.97 while his BB/9 is an unbearably horrible 8.88.

Anyone know whats going on down there?

Are you saying his acquisition was oversold to the fan base?

He's not done that badly

ERA 3.55

IP 25.1

H 16

R 12

ER 10

BB 25

K 16

AVG .178

Issues with control, maybe with his strike-out pitch

A wild live arm could certainly put up those numbers. Trouble with only having numbers to go by.

Are you saying his acquisition was oversold to the fan base?

Yes IMO, but this is of course without inside knowledge regarding his in game "stuff".

He's not done that badly

ERA 3.55

IP 25.1

H 16

R 12

ER 10

BB 25

K 16

AVG .178

Issues with control, maybe with his strike-out pitch

Looking at the bats he has(or hasn't) missed, I'd say he is doing quite poorly statistically, especially including the walks. His strikeout pitch as it sounded right now is probably his fastball. I do not recall much talk about his secondaries in the brief scouting report that we all saw on him last year.

A wild live arm could certainly put up those numbers. Trouble with only having numbers to go by.

I agree, but I'd also like to think that if his fastball truly is what it was advertised to us as, he would have more K's.

Perhaps he is working on his secondaries and they are so far below par that they get hit or aren't strikes leading to inflated walk rates and terrible K rates.

I guess I also have to keep in mind his age, however, I must say these peripherals are red flags to me and my untrained eye for statistics....

Control, that's what separates the pitchers from the throwers. :)

Although this is a possible thread derailer, I disagree with that. You can be a thrower and have good control and on the flipside, you can be a pitcher and have bad control. IMO, being a pitcher rather than a thrower is all about pitchability-knowing how to set hitters up, changing speeds and mixing up your pitches.

The good news is he is very young. The bad news his stats so far are not indicative of the "stuff" he supposedly had. People within the organization were raving about him and that had people like me and BA putting him in our top prospects lists based off those glowing upside reviews.

I was a little concerned when others outside the organization had a lesser opinion of him which meant others did see him and maybe didn't think as highly of him.

Either way, he's way too young to give up on him despite the terrible walk and K numbers, but lord almighty I'd feel better of those K numbers were higher because then you would think it's just control.

Also in his favour, it doesn't look as if he gets hit hard, he has given up only 3 xb hits (3 doubles). There are lots of wild pitches, stolen bases and hbp. Most of his loss of control (walks, hbp) come in bunches too. His ERA with runners on and in scoring position is horrible tho :)

• 11 months later...
Okelky Peralta has made two starts in the GCL. He was pretty raw last year at age 17 in the DSL. His first start lasted two innings and was more of the same with some walks and hit batters. Today he flashed his potential. 3 IP, 0 hits, 0 walks and 7 strikeouts. The Red Sox team he pitched against was 9-0. He did hit a batter but they did not get the ball out of the infield in 3 innings against him. Hopefully, we see a bunch more like this as he gets stretched out a little.

Encouraging start for sure

• 10 months later...

o

15 OUTS: 10 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Flyout

OFELKY PERALTA REYNOSO O (vs. Regular-A Charleston, 4/30)

IP:l 5

H:;; 2 ll(1 Triple, 1 Single)

R:l) 1

BB: 3

SO: 10

Pitches: 94 (63 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2016 ERA: 2.60 (Regular-A Delmarva)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

23 (16 Strikes, 7 Balls)