Sox To Trade Peavy to Giants

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Red Sox will get Giants prospects Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in the deal, pending approval.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>SF, BOS have been waiting for Commissioner's approval, so presumably, Boston has kicked in at least $1 million for Peavy salary.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So it looks like the Red Sox are in sell-off mode now. Released Capuano and Pierzinski now trading Peavy. Hopefully Capuano is as bad as he was on the Red Sox and gets lit up tonight for the Yankees and they lose.

So it looks like the Red Sox are in sell-off mode now. Released Capuano and Pierzinski now trading Peavy. Hopefully Capuano is as bad as he was on the Red Sox and gets lit up tonight for the Yankees and they lose.

Well, they traded Peavy who was 1-9 with a 4.72 ERA. Whatever John Doe they call up from Pawtucket to take his place is unlikely to do any worse than that.

It was a great move for them, dumping an overpaid 33 year old who wasn't performing, and getting some prospects. At the same time, it probably doesn't hurt them for the remainder of the year at all.

Not happy about seeing Boston make a good move for their franchise.

Not happy about seeing Boston make a good move for their franchise.

Neither am I, it's a trade that could work well for both teams. I'd venture to guess, if Peavy performs well in SF, that the Giants would want to resign him and he would probably go for that. Talented team, familiar with the Manager, pitchers park, good chance of playoff appearances over the next couple of years...

Now let's see if Boston does the smart thing and trades Lester. They are becoming less and less like the Yankees I feel. Less willingness to spend on overpriced FA's, trading guys off when they realize they are out of it.

Whereas the Yankees basically have decimated their farm system over the last half decade trading away all of their talent for veterans (in what hopefully this year merely makes them an also-ran team when it comes to the play-off picture.) I really don't know how the Yankees keep hanging around. I constantly am waiting for them to regress to their talent level.

Neither am I, it's a trade that could work well for both teams. I'd venture to guess, if Peavy performs well in SF, that the Giants would want to resign him and he would probably go for that. Talented team, familiar with the Manager, pitchers park, good chance of playoff appearances over the next couple of years...

Now let's see if Boston does the smart thing and trades Lester. They are becoming less and less like the Yankees I feel. Less willingness to spend on overpriced FA's, trading guys off when they realize they are out of it.

Whereas the Yankees basically have decimated their farm system over the last half decade trading away all of their talent for veterans (in what hopefully this year merely makes them an also-ran team when it comes to the play-off picture.) I really don't know how the Yankees keep hanging around. I constantly am waiting for them to regress to their talent level.

Money, plain and simple. Without a salary cap, there is zero consequence for their reckless spending and depleted farm because they simply buy replacements for the guys who underperform.

What a loathsome team to support that must be.

Archived