+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    154

    Anti doom and gloom post

    I honestly can't believe the negativity. The os are going to lose many more games. It's baseball, to refer to things as pathetic, or sad is ridiculous. We had a bad night, but we scored ten runs in The previous two. We can't win every game. We will have ugly games with our low obp offense. Get over it. I get that Toronto is nipping at our heels but imagine how they feel. They have been beating up on crap teams and haven't gained THAt much ground. We are holding our own during this tough stretch. We keep winning series vs tough teams. So jays are hot, so what. Do you think they are not gonna lose? Do you think they will stay hot? No. They will hit a skid, and we will stay steady as a stone. I get mad, I get frustrated, everyone does, but the eagerness to jump on every little thing that goes wrong is pretty sad. I can't even wrap my brain around the fact that some people can't wrap their brains around the fact that we will lose some nights. I get this a reactionary thread but it just boggles my mind. It sucks the game threads get cluttered up with utter trash. Especially from the golden boy.


  2. #2
    I think people are either

    A. Extremely short sighted

    or

    B. Take pleasure in anything to complain about so they themselves can secretively feel better about their lives

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, Va/Round Hill, Va
    Posts
    8,876
    I understand the frustration. It's a tough loss to take especially when we had chances but it does annoy me when the doom and gloom stuff happens. Listen I understood it in the past. We were a perennial loser. A joke. But we're a team heading into August with one of the best records in the majors. The old saying is you're going to win 54 games, lose 54, and the other 54 are in your hands. Fortunately, I think we're going to win enough of those other 54 to make the playoffs. Do we need to improve in some areas? Absolutely and I don't think Duquette is done improving the team. If you all remember correctly, our starter who won the game to get us our first playoff berth in 15 years was a guy picked up in August. Let's rebound tomorrow and beat Seattle and get another solid streak going.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,516
    The Jays are due for a slide. Their OPS is unsustainable right now. Near .900 since the ASB. They aren't a very good team. Playing teams that are actually trying to win games this season will expose that.

  5. #5
    SteveA's Avatar
    SteveA is offline Plus member since 01/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy10 View Post
    The Jays are due for a slide. Their OPS is unsustainable right now. Near .900 since the ASB. They aren't a very good team. Playing teams that are actually trying to win games this season will expose that.
    Yeah, it hasn't been mentioned so I don't know if people are even aware, but Houston traded a half decent starting pitcher, Jarrod Cosart, just hours before he was going to start tonight's game vs Toronto. So they started some emergency starter.

    So this wasn't even a representative Houston team tonight... at least the next three nights they will be starting some guys who have been in their rotation and performing at a half decent level, not a last second fill in.

    And even with that, Toronto had to score a couple runs in the top of the 8th to pull out a 1 run win.

  6. #6
    I think there are legit concerns to have about the offense, which hasn't been that good since the Nats series.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    154
    I'll say this, I sure as he'll would rather lose this game than the game we bounce weaver. In five. That would have been more devistating. This was just a loss where the offense sucked balls. It happens. I never felt like we had this game. Plus we already won the series vs them....again. So it's on o Seattle to take another two of three. News flash, we prolly won't sweep Seattle either so be prepared doom and gloomers.

  8. #8
    SteveA's Avatar
    SteveA is offline Plus member since 01/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboulet'sStache View Post
    I think there are legit concerns to have about the offense, which hasn't been that good since the Nats series.
    Certainly.

    If Cruz and Davis stay in their slumps, we probably are not going to win. That's just the way it is.

    A couple weeks ago Manny would have been mentioned on that list. He came out of his slump in a big way the past few weeks, though he had a bad night tonight.

    Our hitting is in a bad stretch right now, no doubt. But people seem to talk as if that means it will continue at that level all year.

    I think that our hitting wil perform better the rest of the year than it has the past few weeks. And our starting pitching will probably regress a little form the level it has been at the past few weeks.

    We may tweak a few things, like picking up a role player, or playing Delmon more now that Pearce is not doing as well, or moving Davis down in the order. But basically we are going to play with the guys we have. And I think we will wind up in the top half of the AL in offense when all is said and done. Maybe not high in the top 10, but with good starting pitching, great bullpen, and great defense, I think we will be OK.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, Va/Round Hill, Va
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy10 View Post
    The Jays are due for a slide. Their OPS is unsustainable right now. Near .900 since the ASB. They aren't a very good team. Playing teams that are actually trying to win games this season will expose that.
    Right and that's why I am not panicking. We've had Anaheim twice, Oakland, and Seattle (twice starting this weekend) to start the second half. Jays have had Boston, Texas, Yankees, and now Houston to start off.
    I think Toronto has one of their better clubs in years but I also think we're the better team. I just can't see Toronto's club going 6-4 on that road trip and then taking 2/3 from Anaheim again. And I agree playing actual
    compettion will expose them.

  10. #10
    vab's Avatar
    vab is offline Plus Member Since 4/04 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboulet'sStache View Post
    I think there are legit concerns to have about the offense, which hasn't been that good since the Nats series.
    Nobody's offense is going to look good against the pitching they've been facing.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by vab View Post
    Nobody's offense is going to look good against the pitching they've been facing.
    But even against the average pitching, the Yankees, the back end of the Angels rotation, the back end of the Seattle rotation, they have struggled.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    Certainly.

    If Cruz and Davis stay in their slumps, we probably are not going to win. That's just the way it is.

    A couple weeks ago Manny would have been mentioned on that list. He came out of his slump in a big way the past few weeks, though he had a bad night tonight.

    Our hitting is in a bad stretch right now, no doubt. But people seem to talk as if that means it will continue at that level all year.
    I think that's probably a product of the sabremetric generation, where OBP correlates to runs, and the O's aren't a high OBP team. And it's probably a product of 2013, where the homers dried up and the lowing scoring DID continue for a long period of time. This is that same team, so while maybe people shouldn't be panicking, I think there is a justification in thinking, "is this team in that stretch again?"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendoza Line View Post
    I think people are either

    A. Extremely short sighted

    or

    B. Take pleasure in anything to complain about so they themselves can secretively feel better about their lives
    I tend to lean toward B. Not happy unless they have something to complain about.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboulet'sStache View Post
    I think that's probably a product of the sabremetric generation, where OBP correlates to runs, and the O's aren't a high OBP team. And it's probably a product of 2013, where the homers dried up and the lowing scoring DID continue for a long period of time. This is that same team, so while maybe people shouldn't be panicking, I think there is a justification in thinking, "is this team in that stretch again?"
    This team has been in that stretch the whole season. The offense has been brutal pretty much the whole year. But there's still lots of room to improve.

  15. #15
    The Angels have a pretty good offense and we scored more runs than they did in the series.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us