+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winning the division is ideal. Getting a wildcard spot wouldn't be terrible, either.

While the Blue Jays hot streak has most of us worried, something to consider:

The Orioles are 4.5 games up for the second wild card spot, and have a 66.4% chance of at-least getting that (per ESPN).

We haven't extended our lead in the division, but we are creating distance for a playoff berth.

Don't worry about the Blue Jays, they are just beating up on bad teams at the moment. They will return to the middle of the pack.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhite View Post
    Don't worry about the Blue Jays, they are just beating up on bad teams at the moment. They will return to the middle of the pack.
    Wait until they play the Orioles.

Can you imagine 3 or 4 years ago, if someone had stated that a team was winning a lot because of the sub-par teams that they were playing, and the retort was, "Yeah, but just wait until they play the Orioles." o o

Seriously they've had Texas, Red Sox, and now the Astros since the ASB break ended. Best they've faced is the Yankees. To put things in perspective the worst we faced was Seattle who has a similar record to the
    Yankees. I still feel very confident about this team's chance to take the division at this point. Not worried at all. If we start losing to teams that we should be beating, then I'll worry some but the road trip and the start
    to the homestand has me still pretty confident even though the Jays gained ground.

The goal the Orioles should set at this point, IMO, is beating out Detroit for home advantage in said projected divisional series.

Then again if they keep performing better on the road maybe they should let the Tigers have that...

In a down year in the AL East, and considering what we have given up in future assets for this year, the Wild Card would be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 Nuggets View Post
    The goal the Orioles should set at this point, IMO, is beating out Detroit for home advantage in said projected divisional series.

Then again if they keep performing better on the road maybe they should let the Tigers have that...
    Tigers play better on the road too.

They should face each other on neutral ground where no one cares about baseball. Thinking Tampa or DC.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    In the era where a wild card berth only earns you a one-game play-in game, it means a lot to actually win the division title. I'd be disappointed if we only got the WC, though of course, it beats missing the playoffs entirely.

I hope you are right because we do play them really soon.

The O's will win the division. They are a much better team than Toronto. The Jays have had a ridiculously easy schedule and have a team OPS of .864 and BABIP of .344 since the break. Everybody on their team is hot right now which simply isn't going to last, and as we have seen once they cool down they aren't a very good team. I'd be shocked to see them win more than 87 games.

Babypowder is offline Plus Member Since 10/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy10 View Post
    The O's will win the division. They are a much better team than Toronto. The Jays have had a ridiculously easy schedule and have a team OPS of .864 and BABIP of .344 since the break. Everybody on their team is hot right now which simply isn't going to last, and as we have seen once they cool down they aren't a very good team. I'd be shocked to see them win more than 87 games.
    Toronto position players are 5th in MLB in fWAR, one ahead of the Orioles who are 6th. Their pitchers are 15th in fWAR to the Orioles 22nd. I don't think we can really say we are a "much better team".

By rWAR, Toronto is 3rd in the AL, the Orioles are 6th.
    Last edited by Babypowder; 08-01-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Of course the WC wouldn't be a bad place to be, but I'd agree with those that have said that NOT winning the division at this point would be incredibly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    In the era where a wild card berth only earns you a one-game play-in game, it means a lot to actually win the division title. I'd be disappointed if we only got the WC, though of course, it beats missing the playoffs entirely.
    I'll be disappointed until Bud realizes how awful an intentional 1-game playoff is. Yet another case where he completely misunderstands what fans actually want.

VeveJones007 is offline Plus Member Since December 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole View Post
    I'll be disappointed until Bud realizes how awful an intentional 1-game playoff is. Yet another case where he completely misunderstands what fans actually want.
    Umm... and what do fans actually want, exactly?

I think the 1-Game playoff system has actually been something of a huge success.