Reed is weeded out!!!

zweem

Wow. All for one four-pack of Reese's peanut butter cups, one two-pack of big Reeses peanut butter cups and a Twix ice cream bar. How dumb can you be?

Does seem a bit harsh because all he did was slap the cops hand and steal $5.81 worth of candy (Did Jameis Winston receive any punishment for stealing crab legs?) but hopefully for him, he learns from this.

Maryland,s athletic department and Turgeon in particular cannot be held blameless here. The kid was a highly touted recruit and is in trouble with the law. Shows a lack of judgement all around. Not Turgeons first off court problem with a player either. Where is the accountability????

I am with you on Turgeon, I want him out - but I am not putting this one on him - maybe as another small piece to the puzzle, but not really going to feel strongly about this one.

I still don't see how this can be blamed on Turgeon. Bino was the one that recruited him also.

They are not responsible for these immature actions. He obviously wasn't thinking about the consequences of getting caught for something so stupid and that shows a huge lack of maturity. And other than having possible academic problems (which he supposedly improved on) Reed was never reported to be in trouble of any kind. Not sure how that shows a lack of institutional control on recruiting the type of person he is being implied he is.

What is hypocritical to me is when the university allowed Dalonte Hill to get 2 DUI's while at UMD (3 total) before he resigned. To me this far pales in comparison...though I see now they have updated the story to say one of the officers suffered broken fingers. If it truly was an ugly incident then I have less of a problem with how quickly they let him go.

I still don't see how this can be blamed on Turgeon. Bino was the one that recruited him also.

They are not responsible for these immature actions. He obviously wasn't thinking about the consequences of getting caught for something so stupid and that shows a huge lack of maturity. And other than having possible academic problems (which he supposedly improved on) Reed was never reported to be in trouble of any kind. Not sure how that shows a lack of institutional control on recruiting the type of person he is being implied he is.

What is hypocritical to me is when the university allowed Dalonte Hill to get 2 DUI's while at UMD (3 total) before he resigned. To me this far pales in comparison...though I see now they have updated the story to say one of the officers suffered broken fingers. If it truly was an ugly incident then I have less of a problem with how quickly they let him go.

Yeah but dealing with an employee and a contract is legally so different than dealing with a high school recruit (and one who hasn't been enrolled in school or participated in practices [due to injury]). I'd say the inconsistency or hypocrisy unfortunately and unavoidably comes with the system as a whole and not with U of MD in particular.

Maryland,s athletic department and Turgeon in particular cannot be held blameless here. The kid was a highly touted recruit and is in trouble with the law. Shows a lack of judgement all around. Not Turgeons first off court problem with a player either. Where is the accountability????

This makes no sense.

About 5 years, since there is no way they can buy out his contract with the state of our finances in the athletic department. They had to borrow ,I believe, about $1.5 million from the university last year to make ends meet. Football and basketball must raise their own funds to make budget.

Unfortunately, I think you now have to consider the quality of the people they're recruiting. Considering the brainlessness of what he did - assuming he wasn't stoned - I'd wonder how in the world this kid is college material, and why did Turgeon and any of his assistants who helped recruit him think he was. This is bad, and Turgeon can't afford bad anymore.

Shocking if true. And we're going to try and compete in the elite Big Ten under these circumstances?? Crazy. Time for both Anderson and Turgeon to hit the road before we get hit with Probation in view of what has been going on of late.

As soon as Maryland pays their $31 million bill, I'm sure they will get right on with firing Anderson and Turgeon for "what has been going on of late." I'm far from a Turgeon apologist, but I'm assuming you are collectively putting in missing The Tournament (he has actually averaged nearly 20 wins a season since he's taken over), the weak opponent losses (embarrassing ones), the rash of transfers (despite having a top 25 classe of his guys come in), and this incoming recruit incident (albeit he was part of a top 10ish class)...all those things combined are indeed very problematic but do seem like they can be fixed. Hopefully his assistants cue him in on how horrible his game & offense management is. Get those clicking with his normal focus on defense and rebounding and UMD should see a rise back to the top.

But I'm not quite sure why you're not understanding that the athletic department can't afford to pay to fire either of them. Some reports have them over $20 million in debt...that's even before the ACC exit fee was finalized. The ACC had held all revenue until this lawsuit was resolved and as stated above they AD had to get creative with it's budget. Whether anyone likes it or not, Turgeon is not going anywhere, anytime soon (if you survived through the O's futility, you can make it at least another year or 2 when they can afford to let him go if the program hasn't improved).

You seem enlightened and I thank you for clarifying the Athletic Department's woeful situation at present. So we have a debt-ridden program to the tune of $20 million (your estimate) and are stuck with an ineffective basketball coach and suspect AD. Don't know if you have any further insight but how in God's name did we allow this to happen?? Where was the Administration when this was all going down?? And what about all our benefactors and alumni?? Is there any plan or hope to get this program out of the red? Seems like we are being held hostage by the all mighty dollar sign. The thought of Turgeon on the recruiting trail and his continued presence here for the long term in view of what has gone down recently is indeed freightening. Desperate times financially usually lead to desperate measures. How do we get people in the seats at Comcast?? Winning of course but at what cost?? I for one fear Probation is not far away as the stakes rise. Or perhaps we're just in for a long stretch of losing as we shed these contracts. A sad choice indeed.:cool:

I don't have any insider info other than word of mouth from friends who attended years ago and from what I see the few games I go to a year (as well as what's on tv). Everything else was attained using my Google-fu.

The AD has been in debt for decades it seems. The winning years from the basketball and football programs in the early 2000's helped pull them out of the hole (Yow was credited for bringing them along). However, losing seasons from the big programs has them losing money once again (I had seen $22 million in 2013). The ACC withholding money has them borrowing money from several sources.

Sports Illustrated looked into the situation a couple years ago & gives some good insight...

In explaining why the Terrapins were leaving a conference they'd been affiliated with for 59 years, Loh said: "Number one, by being members of the Big Ten Conference, we will be able to ensure the financial sustainability of Maryland athletics for decades to come." Maryland was going for the money, Loh essentially said. Early estimates indicate Maryland could earn $100 million more in the Big Ten by 2020.

It's no secret that Maryland is in dire financial shape, but the school's change in circumstance has been sudden. Years of untenable financial practices, lukewarm fundraising and disappointing performances in football and men's basketball have hampered the athletic department. Tack on lackluster graduation rates, an exhausted donor base and persistent turbulence within the department, and Maryland now possesses one of the most dysfunctional athletic departments in the country.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/11/27/maryland-athletics

The fact that Maryland?s athletics are under water is not unique in college athletics, particularly in the ACC, where only Virginia Tech made more money than it spent in fiscal 2009-10 without help from university subsidies. In fact, none of the ACC?s eight public schools turned a profit in their athletic department in 2010-11.

Compare that to the cash-rich Big Ten, where athletic departments at eight of the 11 public schools made more than they spent in 2010 before subsidies; seven of them turned a profit in 2011. The SEC led the way with nine schools turning a profit before subsidies.

http://beta.sportingnews.com/article/4379064-maryland-to-big-ten-athletic-department-budget-deficit-why-maryland-leave-acc

From The Washington Post:

According to the report, the university has loaned the athletic department -- which has a goal of being self-sufficient -- upwards of $21 million to overcome the deficit, with additional loans of $20 million potentially required if the ACC continues to withhold revenue. The loans are funded by the university?s Non-State Auxiliary Funds, which are collected from school-run programs such as parking tickets and dining services, according to a university spokesman.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=81400&src=desktop

It's no secret that the move to the B1G was mostly financially motivated. $100 million additional earnings in 6 years should help pull them out of the red, maybe as soon as the 2017-2018 season. They really do have a long road to go bring back a winning tradition though. More than money can solve.

Turgeon's recruiting shows that top level players do want to come to play. The trickle down effect of the egos (as you alluded to with Reed) and such is a different debate (Gary mostly recruited heart players that wanted to stay all 4 years). Turgeon has to win with these guys or you may see a collection plate passed around to buy him out like they did to Friedgen. Winning does seem to be the best solution in my opinion. If only they listened. And I think this year they will hold their own.

Also The Comcast Center was just renamed The Xfinity Center.

Thanks for your hard work digging this info up. The piece on the expected Big Ten revenues is news to me. Looks like we have little choice but to buckle in see how the ride goes for awhile.

There should be no question anymore that Turgeon is a top notch recruiter, however that doesn't mean squat if he can't do his top priority of being a coach first, second, & third.

I saw how another poster compared him to Steve Lavin (he had 2 #1 rated classes & bunch of NBA bound players) when he was at UCLA. He consistently brought in top ranked classes year after year, however he never could go deep in the tournament.

Hopefully, Turgeon is able to continue to bring in top ranked classes as well as find a way to win like he has at every other program he's been a part of. Hopefully, the character issues from the transfers (some ego problems it seems) and former recruits isn't a bad sign of the type of players he does go after. For the most part his guys have stayed out of trouble and hopefully this Reed situation was just an isolated incident that came from an immature kid.

If Turgeon can't win with this team (or next years class - he ain't going anywhere), then I think they university may try to make a move.

As soon as Maryland pays their $31 million bill, I'm sure they will get right on with firing Anderson and Turgeon for "what has been going on of late." I'm far from a Turgeon apologist, but I'm assuming you are collectively putting in missing The Tournament (he has actually averaged nearly 20 wins a season since he's taken over), the weak opponent losses (embarrassing ones), the rash of transfers (despite having a top 25 classe of his guys come in), and this incoming recruit incident (albeit he was part of a top 10ish class)...all those things combined are indeed very problematic but do seem like they can be fixed. Hopefully his assistants cue him in on how horrible his game & offense management is. Get those clicking with his normal focus on defense and rebounding and UMD should see a rise back to the top.

But I'm not quite sure why you're not understanding that the athletic department can't afford to pay to fire either of them. Some reports have them over $20 million in debt...that's even before the ACC exit fee was finalized. The ACC had held all revenue until this lawsuit was resolved and as stated above they AD had to get creative with it's budget. Whether anyone likes it or not, Turgeon is not going anywhere, anytime soon (if you survived through the O's futility, you can make it at least another year or 2 when they can afford to let him go if the program hasn't improved).

From what I heard, the ACC got basically that same 31 mil up front from The Big 10, and the $31 mil owed the ACC was already in the ACC's hands, so I'm not sure that MD's hands are tied as far as what to do with Mssrs Anderson and Turgeon. I think they each have 1 more year to turn it around.

Archived