+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Do the Orioles give Jeter a parting gift?

I can't help but feel they will, even though I hope the fans boo the bejesus out of him the entire time.

What did the Yanks give Cal?

gmelson26 is offline Plus Member Since 7/14 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I hope they don't. The FO should know how the fans feel about the MFY. Let's give him a standing ovation after he strikes out for his final at bat. Classy, but not pandering.

Frankly after the all-star game, none of MLB should feel as though they even have to acknowledge he's retiring.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahama O's Fan View Post
    What did the Yanks give Cal?
    "New York Yankees, Sept. 28-30
    The pregame tribute, just off the dirt behind home plate, included Yankee manager Joe Torre giving Ripken's wife, Kelly, a dozen long-stemmed pink roses, and former Yankees All-Star Don Mattingly presenting Ripken with a pin commemorating his last game in the city. Ripken also was given an enlarged and framed copy of the commemorative ticket each fan was given at the stadium. Reading "Farewell Cal Ripken," the tickets have black-and-white pictures of Ripken and Lou Gehrig."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...5645.htmlstory

Quote Originally Posted by gmelson26 View Post
    I hope they don't. The FO should know how the fans feel about the MFY. Let's give him a standing ovation after he strikes out for his final at bat. Classy, but not pandering.

Frankly after the all-star game, none of MLB should feel as though they even have to acknowledge he's retiring.
    Oh my gosh! Is Jeter retiring? I haven't heard anyone talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    Oh my gosh! Is Jeter retiring? I haven't heard anyone talking about it.
    Jeffrey Maier's head on a pike. For his trophy room.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    The pregame tribute, just off the dirt behind home plate, included Yankee manager Joe Torre giving Ripken's wife, Kelly, a dozen long-stemmed pink roses, and former Yankees All-Star Don Mattingly presenting Ripken with a pin commemorating his last game in the city. Ripken also was given an enlarged and framed copy of the commemorative ticket each fan was given at the stadium. Reading "Farewell Cal Ripken," the tickets have black-and-white pictures of Ripken and Lou Gehrig."

Wow! Impressive - classy Joe Torre. You have Buck's feelings about the Yanks (pro and con) but he does respect the heck out of Jetes. I expect something significant. Perhaps a crab cake shaped baseball, a black and orange mouthguard and a framed ticket to the Orioles first playoff game.

How about a bronze statue of Tony Tarasco pointing upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Jeffrey Maier's head on a pike. For his trophy room.

Wow - Game of "Homes" - stay classy Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by throwingthings View Post
    I can't help but feel they will, even though I hope the fans boo the bejesus out of him the entire time.
    A miniature copy of the Orioles' 2014 AL East champions banner.
    Last edited by JohnnyEutaw; 08-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post

I say give him the same thing with pictures of Jeter and Ripken on the tickets.

Only thing Jeter should get is a good introduction and a good round of applause.

Give him a TV so he can watch the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEutaw View Post
    A miniature copy of the Orioles' 2014 AL East champions banner.

He has absolutely killed us during his career. Glad to see him gone and let's hope we leave a parting shot of our backsides in the standings.
    I've seen bad kharma before. You came up with the king... of bad kharma.

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Crabs.