Filling holes this Winter

El Gordo

We have three FA spots to fill this winter RF,SS and DH. We won't go FA for all three, maybe none of them, but who are the best FA options at these positions?

COF :

Yasmani Tomas

Melky Cabrera

Cuddyer

Aoki

Gomes

or Markakis

SS:

HanRam

Drew

Asdrubal Cabrera

or Hardy

DH:

Cruz

Martinez

Morales

or Delmon Young. Who would you choose if any?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have three FA spots to fill this winter RF,SS and DH. We won't go FA for all three, maybe none of them, but who are the best FA options at these positions?

COF :

Yasmani Tomas

Melky Cabrera

Cuddyer

Aoki

Gomes

or Markakis

SS:

HanRam

Drew

Asdrubal Cabrera

or Hardy

DH:

Cruz

Martinez

Morales

or Delmon Young. Who would you choose if any?

Cuddyer would look great in this lineup on a two-year deal or something. But that being said, it seems like our internal options are the most realistic and feasible. Delmon > Cruz at DH for what they'll cost, and I'll take the comp pick.

Cuddyer would look great in this lineup on a two-year deal or something. But that being said, it seems like our internal options are the most realistic and feasible. Delmon > Cruz at DH for what they'll cost, and I'll take the comp pick.
So you would go all in house? Henry, Alverez, Pearce, Lough, for COF. Delmon, Henry, Pearce for DH, and Manny. or DeJesus at SS. Who are you, PA?

Nick. If possible at reasonable cost/length. If Nick goes, then I think the organization will be thinking Dariel Alvarez. The harder questions are what to do about Ubaldo, Schoop, Chris Davis, Wieters, Cruz, Hardy??? I would be tempted to take a gamble and extend Chris Davis in offseason at a bargain rate if possible and hope for a comeback. Hardy will probably get a three year deal with more dollars from somewhere else than we would do. So if I let JJ walk, then it means Manny is the new shortstop, which would open either some FA possibilities for third (Headley, Sandoval) or maybe Chris Davis could be the new third baseman if Christian Walker is smoking it in the spring?? I think Wieters could very well be traded (again maybe that helps obtain a third baseman or starting pitching prospects). Cruz is not going to be a reasonable signing for us I suspect. If I am going hard for one big FA signing, I have to ask myself, what am I going to do about Ubaldo and Schoop? How do I get some value out of him, put him in the pen, hope he figures something out in offseason?? James Shields might be worth taking a run at if we need to uptick the rotation. And is Schoop going to be the starting second baseman or not or do we pursue somebody??? Big decisions. Glad I am not DD, lol.

If this season has taught me anything it is as Theo used to say, no one player is ever that important. We have gone most of the season with no Wieters, half a Davis and a third of Manny, and look how well we are doing. I tthink theY should go for one FA and I would go for one of the COF types. Unless Markakis signs for a very home town friendly deal I'd look at Melky or this Cuban Thomas. I'd extend Hardy over Nick. I'd go in house for the other COF and DH. With Gausman, and Bundy and Harvey on the way, we don't need no stinkin' SP.

If this season has taught me anything it is as Theo used to say, no one player is ever that important. We have gone most of the season with no Wieters, half a Davis and a third of Manny, and look how well we are doing. I tthink theY should go for one FA and I would go for one of the COF types. Unless Markakis signs for a very home town friendly deal I'd look at Melky or this Cuban Thomas. I'd extend Hardy over Nick. I'd go in house for the other COF and DH. With Gausman, and Bundy and Harvey on the way, we don't need no stinkin' SP.

Actually, I would prefer to sign Andrew Miller rather than any of the free agents listed or free agent starting pitchers available.

So what's you COF, SS and DH next year?

See my above post. I believe strongly the Orioles will re-sign Nick (and I hope maybe Andrew) If we do let Nick go we would likely internally go with Alvarez (or combined with Urrutia, Lough, etc.). I would let JJ walk and move Manny to ss. I would move Davis to 3b if Walker is raking and is ready for first. I am OK with DH being a shared role if we don't trade Wieters as we could use him there a fair amount, Davis there at times, Pearce at times. We are not going to be able to re-sign Cruz at any reasonable deal, imho. So, no Cruz, Hardy and probably trading Wieters. If we trade Wieters, then depending on the return, an additional bat might have to signed.

Archived