Why the Nat love?

schittenden

I get that they've won 10-in-a-row and that's impressive, but they just don't look that impressive to me. They've just swept a 4-game series, which is great, but they're a team that is 20 games over .500 and they've managed to squeak out 3 of those wins by one run. The team they swept? A lowly 20 games under .500. Before that, they scratched out 3 wins by 3 runs total over the Pirates, who are barely over .500 and have won 3 in their last 12. Before that, they swept a 3-game set against the Mets, who are 8 games under .500, who are 8-12 in August.

I can't help but think that if the Orioles had won 5 of their last six as walkoffs on their last at bat, the conversation would be about them being lucky, and it being fluky and unsustainable. Instead we see fawning over how resilient they are.

In short, my point is that the Nats may not be quite the juggernaut they seem to be. Then Nats are 15-5 in August, and the Orioles are 13-5. The Orioles have done it against a tougher schedule with only the last 3 wins coming against teams with records below .500.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY, someone who smelled the BS with the Nats! How many home games in a row can this team play against Arizona? The D-Backs have exactly one good player, and he has been shelved for the season since late July/early August. I have said it on other threads....what the Os have done is way more impressive given the caliber of opponents and pitchers we have faced. 10 in a row is great, but it has come against garbage. Until they win a single series against the 2nd place team in their own division, I am not going to buy what the Nats are selling.

The Nationals were predicted to be a juggernaut in the pre-season and are just now confirming those picks.

The Orioles were predicted to finish last.

There is no other answer.

In some ways, this would make the Nats less interesting. They're simply doing what they were expected to do. Unless, you mean that it just makes the people who picked them feel smart, so they like to talk about it.

I get that they've won 10-in-a-row and that's impressive, but they just don't look that impressive to me. They've just swept a 4-game series, which is great, but they're a team that is 20 games over .500 and they've managed to squeak out 3 of those wins by one run. The team they swept? A lowly 20 games under .500. Before that, they scratched out 3 wins by 3 runs total over the Pirates, who are barely over .500 and have won 3 in their last 12. Before that, they swept a 3-game set against the Mets, who are 8 games under .500, who are 8-12 in August.

I can't help but think that if the Orioles had won 5 of their last six as walkoffs on their last at bat, the conversation would be about them being lucky, and it being fluky and unsustainable. Instead we see fawning over how resilient they are.

In short, my point is that the Nats may not be quite the juggernaut they seem to be. Then Nats are 15-5 in August, and the Orioles are 13-5. The Orioles have done it against a tougher schedule with only the last 3 wins coming against teams with records below .500.

I hope the Orioles sweep the Cubs who are 17 below.500. Otherwise, maybe someone will question how good we really are.

I hope the Orioles sweep the Cubs who are 17 below.500. Otherwise, maybe someone will question how good we really are.

That's not the point at all. I'm not saying they should sweep them every time they play, just that when you manage to sweep weak opponents, it doesn't mean you're the greatest team ever. Their schedule has been full of cupcakes lately and is barely better than the Orioles record against much better teams.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that most people are already questioning how good the Orioles are.

That's not the point at all. I'm not saying they should sweep them every time they play, just that when you manage to sweep weak opponents, it doesn't mean you're the greatest team ever. Their schedule has been full of cupcakes lately and is barely better than the Orioles record against much better teams.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that most people are already questioning how good the Orioles are.

Nice strawman. Is anyone saying the Nats are the "greatest team ever?" The focus most of the season has been on the A's, and lately, the Angels. At the trade deadline, the working assumption was the A's and Tigers moves were made for them to face each other in the ALCS. As to the NL, the Dodgers get the publicity, not the Nats.

Nice strawman. Is anyone saying the Nats are the "greatest team ever?" The focus most of the season has been on the A's, and lately, the Angels. At the trade deadline, the working assumption was the A's and Tigers moves were made for them to face each other in the ALCS. As to the NL, the Dodgers get the publicity, not the Nats.

The media coverage is certainly fawning. I realize these headlines are quoting Harper, but the tone of the coverage completely overlooks the mediocre teams they've been barely beating.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/21/nationals-nine-game-winning-streak-is-absolutely-epic/

http://deadspin.com/the-absolutely-epic-nationals-are-the-most-exciting-t-1624917731

Shrug don't let it bother you. We're a better team than they are IMO and we have shown that when we play them. It's annoying sure but let the O's continue to fly under the radar like they're doing. it will make the continued winning all the more sweeter.

It's certainly not keeping me up at night.

The media coverage is certainly fawning. I realize these headlines are quoting Harper, but the tone of the coverage completely overlooks the mediocre teams they've been barely beating.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/21/nationals-nine-game-winning-streak-is-absolutely-epic/

http://deadspin.com/the-absolutely-epic-nationals-are-the-most-exciting-t-1624917731

Yeah calling them "epic" is a little silly I have to agree considering who they're playing. Not that I can't tip my hat to them but what we did out of the ASB was much more impressive. We didn't face a sub 500 team until we faced the White Sox this series.

The Nationals were predicted to be a juggernaut in the pre-season and are just now confirming those picks.

The Orioles were predicted to finish last.

There is no other answer.

Sure there is. Nat's have Strasburg and Harper. The media finally gets to try and justify all the hype heaped on those two.

Archived