+ Reply to Thread
    Davey is offline Plus Member since 9/13 GCL O's Reputation Reputation

Winning by Earl Weaver

In Earl Weaver's book he wrote in 1972 called Winning, he vividly describes his feelings after the Reds beat the Orioles in game four of the 1970 World Series. He genuinely feared that the Orioles were going to blow the series and the Reds were going to win four straight. This fear was probably due to the traumatic 1969 series against the Mets, a year earlier. Of course the Orioles went on to win the series 4 games to 1 and all was well in Charmville, one of my favorites times in life as an Oriole fan.

I don't feel like Earl yet but it is knocking at the door....just being honest. MFY gaining two games is gnawing at me. Sure is nice to have this luxurious lead in the standings to weather times like this.

I love this team and have faith in this team and I don't mean to be a fatalist but c'mon guys! LET'S BEAT THE CUBS TODAY!

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and five the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.

I think the National League has better biorhythms in July.

This ain't a football game, we do this every day.

I became an optimist when I discovered that I wasn't going to win any more games by being anything else.

I miss Earl

Whatever one thinks of the merits of Weaver’s grand strategy, it is likely not a coincidence that his Baltimore Orioles exceeded their “Pythagorean” wins expectancy every season beginning in 1977. From 1977 to 1982, the Orioles won 35 games more than projected based on their runs scored versus runs allowed, an average of 5.8 extra wins per year.