+ Reply to Thread

Happy Birthday to Cal!

With all the doom and gloom the last couple of days, I thought, why don't we try reflecting on one of our legends for a bit to help lighten the mood? Seems appropriate to celebrate as he's definitely a link to fond memories of other solid, winning Orioles teams.

Happy Birthday to the Iron Man!

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Childhood hero. Hope he gets to call a lot of O's games in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    Childhood hero. .

Mine too.

Got to level with you guys. . .

There is a 3 month old CalK in my household now.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post

Mine too.
    I don't think there's an Orioles fan who came of age in the late 80s or 1990s who doesn't consider Cal his or her childhood hero.

When is Carl's birthday?

sportsfan8703 is offline Plus Member Since 8/14 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Is this another Beltre thread?

callahan09 is offline Plus Member Since 9/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Happy birthday Cal! One of the all time greats, proud you were an Oriole!

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK View Post
    Got to level with you guys. . .

There is a 3 month old CalK in my household now.
    Awesome. I'm trying to win that fight too. It also goes with Calvin and Hobbes.

Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    Awesome. I'm trying to win that fight too. It also goes with Calvin and Hobbes.
    You mean to tell me I'm not the first to think of this?!

His middle name is Spaceman Spiff.
    Last edited by AdamK; 08-24-2014 at 11:23 PM.

I don't think there's an Orioles fan who came of age in the late 80s or 1990s who doesn't consider Cal his or her childhood hero.
    No doubt. Mid 80s either.

slakattack is offline Plus Member Since 6/13 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Interesting thread for me because I have been on this board for a while now and I have always been struck by how little Cal Ripken is ever mentioned. You will see people gush about Palmer, Boog, Brooks, Frank, Earl, Blair, Eddie, even Brady...but for some reason you just don't see Cal's name come up in as many threads as you would expect considering that he was the face of the franchise for almost 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by slakattack View Post
    Interesting thread for me because I have been on this board for a while now and I have always been struck by how little Cal Ripken is ever mentioned. You will see people gush about Palmer, Boog, Brooks, Frank, Earl, Blair, Eddie, even Brady...but for some reason you just don't see Cal's name come up in as many threads as you would expect considering that he was the face of the franchise for almost 20 years.
    I know what you mean.

Its almost like a combination of it being "too soon" and seeing him so visible pursuing other ventures.

When I almost click "buy" on ebay or mitchel & ness its while looking at a RIPKEN 8.