Predict the day we clinch the AL East

hutchead

Predict the day that we clinch the AL East title. For a tiebreaker, predict the score of our game on that day. Remember, we could also lose on that day if the magic number is one and the second place team loses. The winner receives two first row tickets in their living room for the Orioles first playoff game.

I'll go with Sept. 20 as we beat Boston 5-2.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Agree with this.   The number one priority should be locking up Henderson, Holliday, and to a lesser extent, Adley.   Not that I don't want Adley around...I'm just not sure how many years you want to invest in a catcher.   Making a deal for a guy like Burnes this year could be an annual/semi-annual kind of thing.   Maybe you splurge one year and trade for a guy with two years left before FA where you may have to give up a bigger prospect.    I don't think it's smart to have long-term money in pitching.  
    • Based on the current state of the organization, I'm curious to see what this homegrown rotation looks like. What are the odds there's an impact SP in Seth Johnson, Chayce McDermott, and Cade Povich? Pretty low. What are the odds all 3 are busts? Pretty low. A likely median scenario is you have 1 serviceable SP, a reliever, and a bust. Or something along those lines.  I for one am much happier Burnes is in the rotation rather than Bassit, Eovaldi, or someone of that caliber. My preference would have been both once we learned about the Bradish + Means injuries. This time, we paid for the Burnes type front of the rotation pitcher in years of prospect control. I don't think that will always be a luxury we can afford.  Almost an entirely homegrown lineup and a GM who has shown the ability to piece together a productive bullpen. The rotation is where you strike. But it takes investments. No reason the Nationals can sign Scherzer and go win themselves a World Series and that avenue of success building is cut off to our collection of billionaire owners running a bottom 5 payroll currently. 
    • I would go for older but still elite/above average guys in areas of need who will sign short term deals even if they are high AAV, like some of those Verlander and Nelson Cruz contracts. Sonny Gray would have been good this year. Not sure who the equivalent guys will be next year but I don't see us being in the market for 10+/$300+ type deals. At least I hope we aren't.
    • I do not think the Orioles will spend >$200m on annual payroll anytime soon, but they have room to sign. Burnes Ace type every 3-6 years.    I would offer $150 over 5 years with incentives and options that could exceed $200m, to hedge a sunk cost for injuries.
    • Interesting, and Smoltz’ point is not just valid, it illustrates a terrible tendency throughout society. And the pitch clock theory is ridiculous. But the problem isn’t hard throwing, but the twisting motion of the arm. Try just going through a throwing motion and at the end, sharply pronate or supinate your arm. Then do it at whatever your individual max effort is. I’m not even sure how to do it. But that extreme twisting movement can’t possibly be good.
    • We have to close the roof.
    • Kjerstad obliterating AAA pitching is almost to be expected at this point, so the thing I’m keeping a close eye on is his BB rate. Up at 11.5% now, while still maintaining only a 20.7% K rate. Very encouraging, since I’m sure pitchers are pitching him more carefully now. It’s good to see him willing to take those walks. He’s now turned the hard contact into power and he has good contact ability for a power guy, so the biggest flaw in his offensive profile is his aggressiveness and tendency to chase. I’m sure the Orioles’ message is that’s what they want to see improved from him at the AAA level. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now