+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quintin Berry

Quintin Berry

We just called up the speedster outfielder. But I'm a bit confused as to why he wasn't already starting somewhere. He played much of 2012 and part of 2013 in the majors. (Here are his stats.) In 339 PA, he has an OBP of .339. But more of interest is that in his 276 PA against right-handed pitchers he has an OBP of .357 with a .277 BA. (Against lefties it's .262 in 63 PA - yes, SSS.) Add that he's 29 for 29 in stolen bases (! - this includes 5 for 5 in post season play), and all that speed in the outfield, why isn't he starting for the O's or someone else?

Imagine a guy like that leading off for the O's. (For comparison, Markakis has a .346 OBP against lefties, .341 against righties.) He has little power, but with all that speed (for stolen bases and defense) and OBP (at least against righties, which is most pitchers), why is he in the minors? (He played for Norfolk this year - 432 PA, .382 OBP, .285 AVE.)

Anyone know about his defense? With his speed (and the fact that he normally plays center field), he has to be at least pretty good, with potential to be very good. Does he have an arm? He mostly plays center field, but has also played a lot of left and some right field.

I hadn't discerned that the mesmerizableness of my prose would engender such deafening quietude. Or perhaps everyone's shocked that anyone would think Quintin's any good? I thought this would be an interesting topic (especially during the rain delay) since the O's don't really have a "natural" lead-off hitter, with both on base percentage and speed, not to mention one with a .357 OBP against righties who can almost steal bases on demand. Or maybe nobody knows anything about him. At the very least, he would seem to be an upgrade as our regular late-innings pinch runner/defensive replacement for Cruz/Young/Pierce, especially on the basepaths.

Quote Originally Posted by larrytt View Post
    In 339 PA, he has an OBP of .339.
    Can you imagine his OBP is he'd have 1000 PA?

Spy Fox is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    We can assume David Lough is the main reason he hasn't been playing for the O's much. Lough fills basically the same role Berry would, has no options, and had a better short career before coming to the O's than Berry did. And even though Lough has stunk with the bat he has been good enough at filling his role that the O's didn't want to DFA him and risk losing him altogether.

As for why Berry signed with the O's instead of another team where he might have had a better chance to make the MLB roster, can't be sure.

Isn't he childhood friends with Adam Jones though?

Quote Originally Posted by davidhusker View Post
    Can you imagine his OBP is he'd have 1000 PA?
    Considering his .382 OBP at AAA (432 PA) and his .357 against righties in 276 MLB career PA (and .339 overall in 339 PA), I would guess pretty good, especially against righties. (That's 771 PA AAA and ML.) His weakness seems to be lack of power, not OBP. And that 29 for 29 in SB is rather mesmerizing. We could use that, especially considering we are dead last in the majors in stolen bases by quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Fox View Post
    Isn't he childhood friends with Adam Jones though?
    Like best friends and he has 29 MLB steals with no caught stealing.

epic is offline Plus Member since 9/12 Major Leagues Reputation
    I have been wondering that this season too. I know they didn't give up much for de Aza but Berry could fill in that same role as a speed guy from the left side of the plate who gets on base at a fairly solid rate. I'm happy we have both though. It will be interesting to see if they use him as anything more than a late inning pinch runner. I would assume Lough is still going to be the late-inning defensive replacement in left.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-mele...-the-team.html

As Webb rejoins the team today, Berry is added to the O's roster for the first time. The 29-year-old lefty batter played in 112 games for Norfolk, batting .285 with three homers, 35 RBIs and a .382 OBP that was fourth best this year in the International League.
    While some players went back and forth between Triple-A and the O's roster this year, Berry stayed and played all season with the Tides.
    "Any time you get called up is a great feeling, so I'm excited about it," Berry said. "You have to sit and wait and see what happens. Keep playing and stay healthy and get this opportunity. All I could control was to perform every day. This team up here has been playing great and everyone was doing their job."
    What was the key to Berry's solid Triple-A season?
    "Just having fun with it," he said. "We had a great group of guys down there and great management. Made it easy to come to the ballpark and try to perform. Just staying prepared and staying within myself."
    One element Berry can add and one that got him on the Red Sox playoff roster last fall, is speed. He stole 25 of 31 bases this season and he is 29-for-29 in his major league career, counting 5-for-5 steals in the postseason.
    He's a big believer in the stolen base.
    "I think it's really big. To gain a base without losing an out, I think that is huge. Especially late in the game. Gives you three chances to score that run from second or sac fly or anything from third. Anytime you can gain an advantage, it's huge."
    In the O's clubhouse, Berry is reunited with Adam Jones, a close friend from his days growing up in San Diego. They played high school ball together. Now they are O's teammates.
    "This is something I've been thinking about all season. Before every game, getting ready, all I could picture was the opportunity to play with him and for this to finally come true. It's amazing, a great feeling."
    Now Berry hopes there will a time this month when they are in the O's outfield together.
    "Oh man, it would be awesome," he said. "We did that a little bit in spring training. It was cool to look over my shoulder and see him out there smiling at me and joking around. Although joking around on the field isn't the best thing. No, it's awesome, to have that feeling like we did back in high school."

BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by larrytt View Post
    Considering his .382 OBP at AAA (432 PA) and his .357 against righties in 276 MLB career PA (and .339 overall in 339 PA), I would guess pretty good, especially against righties. (That's 771 PA AAA and ML.) His weakness seems to be lack of power, not OBP. And that 29 for 29 in SB is rather mesmerizing. We could use that, especially considering we are dead last in the majors in stolen bases by quite a bit.
    Don't need fleas getting thrown out on the base paths with the league lead in HR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BohKnowsBmore View Post
    Don't need fleas getting thrown out on the base paths with the league lead in HR.
    Having strengths doesn't mean you don't want to improve your weaknesses - and since we are only 6th in the league in runs scored, less than likely playoff rivals Angels, Athletics, or Tigers, we can definitely improve our offense. And when a guy is 39 for 39 in steals at the Major League level with a high OBP, he's not a flea getting thrown out on the base paths; he's a guy successfully getting on base and into scoring position.

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BohKnowsBmore View Post

Forget about getting thrown out and the steals,

... .357 [OBP] against righties in 276 MLB career PA (and .339 overall in 339 PA)
    That's what we should be interested in. You're right, with our offense, he should get on base and stand there until someone drives him in from 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by JayThomas View Post

That's what we should be interested in. You're right, with our offense, he should get on base and stand there until someone drives him in from 1st.
    True - but better still, once the threat of a stolen base is established, the pitcher has to divide his attention between the base runner and batter, leading to a loss of focus, leading to mistakes, which leads to home runs. Plus, in close games, we can manufacture runs rather than rely on our incredible bullpen to shut out opponents until an Oriole hits a HR.

Quote Originally Posted by JayThomas View Post

Here's the thing though... David Lough has been doing well for some time:

June - .296/.387/.556
    July - .400/.455/.700
    August - .333/.364/.381

That's 68 plate appearances worth of backup/platoon play in three months. It makes little sense to squeeze both Berry and Lough in the same lineup, especially with De Aza around. But who knows about September. Buck could sit down both Jones and Markakis some game.