+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I dont hate Derek Jeter, I really don't, but help me out here. Tell me why this bothers me so much.

The New York Yankees announced Tuesday that the team will wear a patch of Derek Jeter's final-season logo on all player hats and uniforms from Sept. 7, the day that the shortstop will be honored at Yankee Stadium, through the end of the season.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-uniforms-caps
    Last edited by PaulFolk; 09-02-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: don't copy and paste full articles without attribution

OFFNY is online now Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    I dont hate Derek Jeter, I really don't, but help me out here. Tell me why this bothers me so much.
    Considering that you are asking us what you think ........

I suspect that it bothers you because you admire Jeter a lot in the first place, and what you are reading (and hearing) doesn't coincide with your image of him/admiration of him.

That's all I've got.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't like the patch idea, since that's normally reserved for people who have died, and it seems disrespectful. The rest, I don't care about.

The truth is, I think its the blatant and crash commercialization of a guy who exemplified a team first credo and who played the game with a sincere respect and unselfishness. This stuff is everything to the contrary of that. And I would write the same thing if this was Cal Jr.too.

..And Derek HAD to have signed off on ALL of this.

I hate everything Yankees.

'white leather fitted hat. $99.99."

Really.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    They can wear their hats and watch the O's in the playoffs.

Agree though, it's pathetic.

Of course. What does Bob Grich think of all this. He was a better shortstop you know.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Of course. What does Bob Grich think of all this. He was a better shortstop you know.
    Bobby Grich doesn't have a leather fitted hat for $99.00.

BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quick question. Would your opinion change if all proceeds or all profits went to the Derek Jeter foundation or something like that? Just wondering, no angle.

Wait... they're going to use baseball with a Jeter logo on them during actual games? Am I understanding that correctly?

Anyway, I do hate Jeter but I'll talk anyway. Is there any precedent for this? Adding a patch in-season for a living, breathing, active player? Teams have to go through a process and maybe even argue just to get a recently-deceased patch, and that won't happen until the following year. This is just ridiculous and it's getting sad, and it reeks of $$$ opportunism on the part of MLB. I've never understood what's so great about Jeter, what he could've possibly done (nothing I've ever seen) to be treated like this magnificent glowing ball of purity. I've always just gotten the impression that it's because he reminds people of the old, cartoon images we have of Mantle and Dimaggio, and everyone's just so desperate to cling to that ideal that we have to lionize him.

The big thing that's bothering me is the O's couldn't do anything like this for Monica Pence Barlow (not that she would've wanted it).

Also every time I see "RE2PECT" I read it as "re-two-pect".

I'm with Frobby, I think the patch is disrespectful.

Jeter was a great ballplayer, but I think he's full of himself, and this proves it. He had to sign off on all this crap.

Meh. Have fun watching OPACY from your television sets in the Bronx this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BohKnowsBmore View Post
    Quick question. Would your opinion change if all proceeds or all profits went to the Derek Jeter foundation or something like that? Just wondering, no angle.
    It might.But I can guarantee you that 'ALL' proceeds WONT go to charity.Some might, but not "all". There will be a handsome profit here which isn't a crime. I just think Jeter is better than this stuff.He sure doesn't need the money.He's worth about 400 million.

schittenden is offline Plus Members Since 8/13 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    The truth is, I think its the blatant and crash commercialization of a guy who exemplified a team first credo and who played the game with a sincere respect and unselfishness. This stuff is everything to the contrary of that. And I would write the same thing if this was Cal Jr.too.
    If he was team first, wouldn't he be at third base? You know, like Cal Jr?