Girardi Rips Yankees: Some Overweight, Some Not Hungry Enough

OFFNY

o

After the Yankees' 10-4 loss to the Red Sox in Fenway Park this afternoon, manager Joe Girardi chided some players for being overweight, and others for "not being hungry enough."

Sources: Joe Girardi Chided Yankees

(By Wallace Matthews)

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11598946/joe-girardi-criticized-new-york-yankees-pregame-tirade-derek-jeter-yankee-stadium-finale

Thanks for posting OFFNY. I found this quite interesting...

First off, I think Girardi is a good manager. I know he snubbed us (kinda), but clearly he wanted to manage in NY and you can tell he enjoys it. I don't hate him for that. He definitely is better than Torre despite the lack of rings iMO.

Now having said all that....he is questioning the team when he batted Jeter top of the order all year? I find that quite puzzling...and poorly timed.

I like how Girardi is upset that the meeting details were leaked. Come on, man. Everything leaks. I'm not buying it. I think Girardi had two intended audiences for this rant: (1) the Steinbrenner boys and (2) the subset of fans (and talk radio hosts) that feels this team underachieved.

I like how Girardi is upset that the meeting details were leaked. Come on, man. Everything leaks. I'm not buying it. I think Girardi had two intended audiences for this rant: (1) the Steinbrenner boys and (2) the subset of fans (and talk radio hosts) that feels this team underachieved.

Probably.

He would like nothing more than the previous "Joe Girardi has done a hell of a job with this team, considering all of the injuries."

AMENDED TO:

"Joe Girardi has done a hell of a job with this team, considering all of the injuries, and all of the fat guys on the roster, and all of the unmotivated guys on the roster. I have no idea how he's done it. He must be a magician."

The Yankees simply weren't that good. Lack of effort wasn't the issue.

They lost 4 of their 5 SP's. That should have killed them but the guys they plugged in to fill the voids did petty well. It's the offense that really cost them. It looked great on paper but it got real ugly real quick. As you said, they weren't good.

They ranked 10th or lower out of 15 A.L. teams in almost every major offensive stat. Their BA was .252 in the first half and it sunk to .232 in the 2nd half.

The Jeter Farewell Tour might have been a distraction. Jeter 24x7 for the entire season was grating and Girardi and the FO refused to move him down or sit him. He was awful. He hit .230 in the 2nd half with a .271 OBP and a .297 SLG. Maybe the rest of the team tried too hard to make up for his shortcomings and try to squeeze out one more post season appearance for him.

Archived