C'Mon, Not Cards and Giants Again

TonySoprano

Those two are getting a little boring though on a personal level they're hard to really dislike. Cannot believe the Cards got 8 runs on Kershaw and that Mattingly stayed with him that long. Less surprised about the Nats. They've got the pitching but their bats go quiet alot.

The Giants have won 2 of the last 4 World Series, so their fans don't deserve anything else. The Cardinals have won 2 of the last 8, and they have been a really good team every single year.....so I am pretty sure their fans don't deserve anything else either. Speaking of Cardinals fans, I don't want to hear anything else about how they are the best fans in baseball, seeing as how they get to support a team that has had about as many bad seasons as the San Antonio Spurs have had over the last 25 years. They should have tried being O's fans from 1998 - 2011, and then we would see how great they really are....

That being said, it is actually a possibility that the Dodgers, Nats, Angels, and Tigers all get ousted in this round. On paper, that is four extremely talented teams. The Royals scare me because of their speed and bullpen....and because their fanbase has suffered a lot over the last 30 years so they are due like we are. But honestly, things are playing out very well for the Orioles so far in terms of potential matchups down the road if we advance.

I'm waiting for allthe national writers to say: All the best teams are out, but that's baseball. It comes down to random luck. Oakland wasstill the best team, Kershaw was the best pitcher, and it's a shame Jeter didn't get to play. Can you imagine listening to the apologies for having to subject the rest of the nation to a KC-Baltimore ALCS?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

.... Speaking of Cardinals fans, I don't want to hear anything else about how they are the best fans in baseball, seeing as how they get to support a team that has had about as many bad seasons as the San Antonio Spurs have had over the last 25 years. They should have tried being O's fans from 1998 - 2011, and then we would see how great they really are.....

If you measure "best fans in baseball" by attendance, then you can credit "Whiteyball" for the achievement. I once went back and looked and Cardinals attendance sucked during the fifties and seventies. However, attendance remained very good through the "brewery years" (late eighties and early nineties), after Gussie Busch died, Whitey quit, and the Anheiser Busch beancounters set team payrolls to bare minimums.

If you measure "best fans" by their friendliness toward fans of visiting rivals, I've been treated well when I attended Cardinals games in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (imagine that!). Of course, that's a pretty small sample size.

If you measure "best fans" by their knowledge of the game, then I would submit that varies as widely among Cardinals fans as it does among the fans of other teams. The bell curve might be slightly to the right for Cardinals fans, but you'd have a hard time proving it.

Cardinals fans do applaud outstanding plays by opposing players, indicating a higher level of graciousness. Fans of other teams do that too, just not as often.

The big turn around in St. Louis came when the Bill DeWitt ownership group bought the Cardinals. It matured when DeWitt fired Walt Jocketty and promoted John Mozeliak from within.

Archived