Interesting Stat on Adam Jones...

JDBirds10

Buster Olney just tweeted from ESPN Stats/Info:

"In his postseason career, Adam Jones has seen 29 pitches out of the strike zone with two strikes and has swung at 23 of them."

Hoping Adam Jones doesn't turn into the Alex Rodriguez of playoff baseball. This is two years now in which he has underperformed.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In his postseason career, Adam Jones has seen 29 pitches out of the strike zone with two strikes and has swung at 23 of them."

Hoping Adam Jones doesn't turn into the Alex Rodriguez of playoff baseball. This is two years now in which he has underperformed.

This really isn't surprising, much easier said that done for him but if he could work on his plate discipline he would be a superstar. It would be interesting to see the amount of times he has done it during his career.

Alex Rodriquez is a .263 lifetime hitter. A .369 OBP,.464 SLG and a .833 OPS in the playoffs.

Least surprising stat ever. I'm somewhat surprised it's not a higer percentage than that, actually.

Peyton Manning of Baseball.

Great Reg season player. Sucks in postseasn. Tries to do to much. Swings at balls in the dirt, still. And pulls his head on everything in the strikezone.

No hits off Guthrie after 3rd inning. Just pathetic throughout the whole lineup.

Agreed with the sentiments here. I find the notion that you can't teach an old dog new tricks somewhat ridiculous, particularly with regards to just telling a player to take a couple more pitches. It's not like Jones is playing for a new contract and HAS to go with what's gotten him this far. If he is truly "hungry" and wants to be elite, he should learn to be patient. Moustakas (I know the sample size is small) is a great example of someone who is suddenly becoming patient, and his results are improving.

Honestly, not everybody is made to perform well in huge pressure situations....sports or otherwise. There are very few guys out there like David Ortiz who seem to get better when the lights are brightest. Even though I can't stand Ortiz, I was thinking last night how much I would love to have him. A slugger who has a phenomenal eye at the plate and terrifies pitchers...so much so that he changes an entire series just by his presence.

I wish Jones would change his approach at the plate, but he is either unwilling or unable to do so. I like to think that people should always want to change for the better but maybe he just can't. I suppose it is possible that we are just expecting too much out of him, knowing exactly what his limitations are....

What is really sad is watching that Billy Butler walk last night, I saw 4 straight pitches below the zone and I thought to myself that Jones (and Schoop and several others) would have swung and missed on all of them. How much different would this series have gone if our hitters could just take pitches?

Archived