Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angelos and Buck likes him. I think he will be back. Also, he would be unwise to test free agency....I am willing to bet the Orioles would give him a better deal than whatelse is out there. I mean really..in terms of pure stats is he worth more than say De Aza, or even what Mclouth got last year?

This is my thought too. He's a guy that long time O's fans and Angelos likes, but he hasn't really done anything to make DD feel he's a core guy we need to keep around.

I think Buck wants him, and I know Angelos wants him. Duke on the other hand has made it clear in the past few years that he wants productive players and has no allegiance to guys just because they've been here and Buck likes (Roberts, Reynolds, etc.)

Nick's range is low, but arm is great. His OPS isn't great, but he's one of the only guys on the team with a decent OBP.

It's really a tricky situation at this point. I think if we can get him for a 3/36 type deal, he's back. If he wants more, he's not.

Nick might be one of the hardest to call in a long time. I'm gonna go with Yes, he's back, but not before the Free Agency period begins.

From the outside looking in... It's hard to believe Nick would endure all this losing to finally be on a winner, only to go sign somewhere else.

No doubt Nick wants to stay, and probably would take a reduced rate. The question is does Duke want him?

I think if you keep Nick, which I think they do, you have to put him lower in the batting order. Question is, who is your #2 hitter? Machado?

DeAza

Machado

Jones

Davis

Pearce

Wieters

Hardy

Markakis

Schoop

That's a pretty good lineup, IMO, with Joseph, Lough, Flaherty, and Young on the bench.

Question is, are we better with Pearce in LF, DeAza in RF, and another DH type (possibly Cruz)? Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes. The Sox parted ways with Nomar, STL lost Pujols, Seattle lost Griffey, etc, etc, etc. It happens. And while I'd hate to see Markakis wind up in Boston or New York, but I want to win a lot more than I want to keep Nick in Baltimore or out of a rival's uniform.

Archived