Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stuff and can pitch in back-to-back-to-back games.

Andrew Miller has been one of the biggest Hot/Cold pitchers of the last decade. We just got a few months of awesome Hot Miller, but if he was this consistent we'd never have gotten him in a trade. No one in baseball doubts his ability, he's always been highly touted with a super high upside but counting on him has been the fall of many teams before this.

Grant Balfour told me a secret awhile back; I probably shouldn't divulge it, but I will anyway-

Relief pitching is VERY fickle, and giving big money to bullpen guys is VERY risky.

This pretty much sums up my feelings.

Andrew Miller has been one of the biggest Hot/Cold pitchers of the last decade. We just got a few months of awesome Hot Miller, but if he was this consistent we'd never have gotten him in a trade. No one in baseball doubts his ability, he's always been highly touted with a super high upside but counting on him has been the fall of many teams before this.

I think your feelings are inaccurate here when you look at the data. For his first 6 seasons, he was awful. Since then, he's been consistent and trending upwards towards the unhittable range we see today. I don't buy so many who claim with certainty here that he will suck or even that he will give 5 years of more sustained greatness that he's recently found. No one knows. Life is not certain.

The last four years have shown steady and progressive effectiveness as he has likely found his role in the league:

2011 - 5.54

2012 - 3.35

2013 - 2.64

2014 - 2.02

As a GM, you'd hate to have been on the wrong side while Detroit or Boston snatched him up and he sustained this level for 4-5 more years when you had him on your team and likely had first crack at him.

O's will not come close to spending what it will take to sign Miller. Britton, O'Day and Hunter will be a tough back end of the pen next year. Wallace has helped Hunter a lot.

Seems like you have intimate knowledge of their spending plans next season. Did you also know that they would go out and sign Cruz and Jimenez last year? Just curious.

Miller's been dominant ever since he moved to the pen, not the hot/cold guy anymore. Best reliever in baseball. I'd give him whatever he wants to sign.

Archived