Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

Going into 2015 we realistically have six starters to fill five spots. Jimenez has to be given another chance just based on his contract alone.

Do we trade Norris or Gonzalez for a bat or maybe a shutdown bullpen arm? Or we do we just assume somebody gets hurt and go into the season with six capable starters?

I think either of those guys have plenty of value, especially to an NL team.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going into 2015 we realistically have six starters to fill five spots. Jimenez has to be given another chance just based on his contract alone.

Do we trade Norris or Gonzalez for a bat or maybe a shutdown bullpen arm? Or we do we just assume somebody gets hurt and go into the season with six capable starters?

I think either of those guys have plenty of value, especially to an NL team.

The O's were very lucky that their starters did not miss much playing time this year. Can't count on that happening every year or next year. O's will keep all 6 starters until at least mid season. Then it depends on what is happening with Bundy.

I can't see the O's trading any starters unless they sign a free agent. They could trade Gonzo or Chen to try and get some prospects, and then try to sign a free agent to taken their place. This might very well blow up in the O's faces. I would like to see the O's take a run at Shields. Would 4 years be a reasonable contract?

I don't see why we would want to trade Gonzo. At his salary he is a very valuable piece. Bud makes a lot of sense if we could get a decent propsect or bullpen arm.
I agree. Don't trade Gonzo. In fact, he should be higher up in the rotation. If next year is Bud's coming-FA year, trade him for a decent 2B man or perhaps a couple of IF prospects.

If a great deal presents itself, deal Norris.

But I would lean towards keeping everyone. Starting pitchers get hurt all the time. Chances are someone will get hurt in spring training next season. I don't want it to happen, but it happens.

Plus, if Ubaldo doesn't improve, we're going to need all the depth we have.

Dear Dan,

All I want for Christmas is Ubaldo off the books. I don't care what we get for him, maybe some mediocre single-A arms. If possible, the Yankees would be an outstanding target just in case you were fishing for ideas.

Thanks,

isestrex

This is probably the key storyline this offseason. I would trade Norris to free up payroll. I believe next year is his last year before FA anyway. Roll with a rotation that has Tillman, Gausman, Chen, Jiminez, and Gonzo, with Wright or Wilson as next man up.

I would think that McFarland is ahead of Wright and Wilson as starters.

Dear Dan,

All I want for Christmas is Ubaldo off the books. I don't care what we get for him, maybe some mediocre single-A arms. If possible, the Yankees would be an outstanding target just in case you were fishing for ideas.

Thanks,

isestrex

I understand the sentiment, but Ubaldo's value is at an absolute low right now. I think we have to take a risk that he will get it together and put together a decent year following up his awful year. He has done this throughout his career. Otherwise, nobody will take him without an insane amount of cash to the point that we would be just as well off releasing him. I think the best plan is to roll with him another year, see if he can get it together, then reasses.

Don't forget Bundy will get his shot at some point next season too. It'll probably be in september, but you never know.

I'd get rid of Norris, mostly because of his value on the market. I'd be more than happy to keep him though.

Gausman is going to be our #1 next year or at least push Tillman if he keeps progressing.

Gausman, Tillman, Gonzo, Chen, Norris, Ubanldo is a good starting 6. We also have McFarland, Matus, Johnson, Sanders and Bundy as guys who might make a move up and fill in a starting pitcher role. That is at least 6 canidates who might suddenly look good. I think we are in a position to move one from each of these sets in order to get ONE higher ceiling prospect from some low budget, bottom of their division team. That was the old 1950's NY Yankee method of building a dynasty.

Archived