Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/articles/steve-gorman-sports-482123/brian-roberts-will-be-retiring-from-12867210/

Brian said it's time to hang up the cleats after leaving Yankees. He was my 2nd favorite Oriole after Cal and I'm going to miss him not being in baseball. He gave the Orioles and the city of Baltimore a lot of great years. Hope he can come back to the organization at some point and help us out in some way! Thanks Brob!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was released by the Yanks and no other team was even interested enough to give him a minor league deal.

I wish Brian the best and think it is best for his long term health that the sport told him to go away but this is a clear example of someone being pushed instead of jumping.

He was for a number of years one of the few players we had that other winning teams would have loved to have. As much as I don't like how his career wound down, I think all the losing affected his drive as a player. What had been a scrappy and overachieving player became pretty uninspiring. Markakis went through much of the same losing early in his career and it never affected his approach, so the losing really isn't a great excuse. But I'm disappointed to see his retirement come with such disinterest and lack of fanfare because he was a pretty good Oriole in the first part of his career.

He was for a number of years one of the few players we had that other winning teams would have loved to have. As much as I don't like how his career wound down, I think all the losing affected his drive as a player. What had been a scrappy and overachieving player became pretty uninspiring. Markakis went through much of the same losing early in his career and it never affected his approach, so the losing really isn't a great excuse. But I'm disappointed to see his retirement come with such disinterest and lack of fanfare because he was a pretty good Oriole in the first part of his career.

I'm usually not one to criticize other people's posts but this is ridiculous. The man got hurt. It might not be an injury you can see, he didn't have a cast, a brace or a surgery scar but concussions are real and they basically ended his career. To basically downgrade his character by saying he lost his drive because of the losing is unfair.

I'm usually not one to criticize other people's posts but this is ridiculous. The man got hurt. It might not be an injury you can see, he didn't have a cast, a brace or a surgery scar but concussions are real and they basically ended his career. To basically downgrade his character by saying he lost his drive because of the losing is unfair.

Was he talking about the concussions or was he talking about Brian lollygagging to first on routine grounders? Brian was doing that long before he hurt himself.

Even as recent as last season Brian was still doing good things for the Orioles. I believe he led us in BA with RISP and hit 8 homers in his last half a season. We were all very excited at how he looked in spring training in '13. He looked alot like the player pre-concussion. I still believe he would have put a lot more good AB's together this playoff run than alot of our guys did. That's just how he did things. Always had a great approach at the plate. And I am not looking to get into a debate here fyi.

Even as recent as last season Brian was still doing good things for the Orioles. I believe he led us in BA with RISP and hit 8 homers in his last half a season. We were all very excited at how he looked in spring training in '13. He looked alot like the player pre-concussion. I still believe he would have put a lot more good AB's together this playoff run than alot of our guys did. That's just how he did things. Always had a great approach at the plate. And I am not looking to get into a debate here fyi.

He played for the Yankees last season. If by doing good things for the O's you mean dragging down the Yank's offense and defense then I guess you have a valid point.

And don't include me in your "we". I wasn't excited about how he looked in 2013.

And if you don't want to get into a debate, don't post obviously incorrect information...fyi

He played for the Yankees last season. If by doing good things for the O's you mean dragging down the Yank's offense and defense then I guess you have a valid point.

And don't include me in your "we". I wasn't excited about how he looked in 2013.

And if you don't want to get into a debate, don't post obviously incorrect information...fyi

Just semantics, as you know. I would say he played for the Yankees this season.

Anyway, maybe next season (2015, although by your system it would be 2016) he can throw out the first pitch in game 3 of the ALDS or something.

Archived