Per Roch: What did the Royals do that was so "unlikeable"?

Jagwar

Other than Dyson's comments, what were the Royals doing that prompted Roch to write this?

The first day of the offseason

I had every intention of pulling for the Royals, but it's going to take some serious effort. Talk about a team that went from likeable to unlikeable in the blink of an eye. Or a gesture toward a dugout or a fist against a chest or a rude comment or a dubious choice of T-shirts.

Jeremy Guthrie's wardrobe actually was the Royals' least offensive act, in my opinion. And this has nothing to do with the outcome of the American League Championship Series. They earned the sweep. You won't convince me that they're a better team than the Orioles, but they played better for four games and are on a special kind of roll. They deserve to advance.

It's just a shame that they came across so poorly.

The Royals were doing some serious yapping at the Orioles from their dugout. Maybe that's the fuel that drives them through the postseason. And it may have worked against the Orioles, who could be accused of having too much "want-to" in this series. They really, really wanted to bury this team and couldn't manage to win one game.

I heard some folks in the press box wondering why a veteran didn't reel in a youngster like Jarrod Dyson and set him straight. It wasn't going to be manager Ned Yost, who appears to be along for the ride. Just stay out of the way and don't deviate from the bullpen blueprint - Kelvin Herrera in the seventh inning, Wade Davis in the eighth and Greg Holland in the ninth.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other than Dyson's comments, what were the Royals doing that prompted Roch to write this?

The first day of the offseason

Seriously? What did they do? The comments, the T-shirts, the constant showboating and frat boy antics after every hit, stolen base, homerun, defensive play, chest thumping/bumping, etc. It's not that all of that stuff was necessarily directed at the Orioles (aside from the comments and t-shirt), it was just over the top obnoxious shenanigans throughout the series. Little leaguers don't even do the stuff they were doing and these are grown men. Show some respect to your opponent and the sport. Celebrating is one thing but the stuff they were doing just rubs me the wrong way. I know they hadn't been there before, so to speak, but it's about time they start acting like it. Half of the guys on that team are begging for a pitch in the ribs.

Agree with Roch. I was fully ready to get behind KC if the O's lost to them. Their arrogance changed all of that for me. Very poor sportsmanship on their part. Buck never would have accepted that behavior from our guys.

I have absolutely no respect for Ned Yost. I'll be furious if he gets Manager of the Year award.

Agree with Roch. I was fully ready to get behind KC if the O's lost to them. Their arrogance changed all of that for me. Very poor sportsmanship on their part. Buck never would have accepted that behavior from our guys.

I have absolutely no respect for Ned Yost. I'll be furious if he gets Manager of the Year award.

He won't.

The votes are already in. They get collected at the end of the regular season, and the postseason results have no bearing on the regular season awards.

Seriously? What did they do? The comments, the T-shirts, the constant showboating and frat boy antics after every hit, stolen base, homerun, defensive play, chest thumping/bumping, etc. It's not that all of that stuff was necessarily directed at the Orioles (aside from the comments and t-shirt), it was just over the top obnoxious shenanigans throughout the series. Little leaguers don't even do the stuff they were doing and these are grown men. Show some respect to your opponent and the sport. Celebrating is one thing but the stuff they were doing just rubs me the wrong way. I know they hadn't been there before, so to speak, but it's about time they start acting like it. Half of the guys on that team are begging for a pitch in the ribs.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I wasn't able to watch much of the games, and was looking for specific examples.

Hosmer didn't bother me all that much. He just played with a lot of enthusiasm. I could imagine AJ rubbing some opposing fans the wrong way as well, but I don't see the harm in it personally.

Dyson bothered me. He was a relatively fringe player, so if he goes hitless in the series and gets picked off or caught stealing, that's enough karma in my book for him.

Guthrie disappointed me. Supposedly a nice guy, but the tshirt thing just came off as cocky. I wouldn't mind him losing the game he pitches, even if the Royals win the series.

I really can't put a finger on it. I'm just not big on the hand gestures when you get a hit, or the Dyson nonsense. Guthrie's t-shirt was a bit much, but I doubt he meant it as a dig at the O's.

If they were jawing at the Orioles and they let it bother them or take them off their game, then that seems like the Orioles' problem and not the Royals'.

Archived