Will DD Pursue Victor Martinez ?

section18

We need more contact hitters with some speed and power. Would we settle for a solid average and OBP ?

Will DD pursue Victor Martinez who had a career year playing little in the field 35+ games at 1B and mostly DH? If my memory is correct we offered him a larger contract in 2011 and he took less (4 years and $50 million) to sign in Detroit. Career 20 HR and 103 RBI hitter with a career .306 BA and .373 OBP. Last season he hit .335 with 32 HR's and a .409 OBP. He is coming off of a 4 yrs. $50 million dollar contract or $12.5 million per year. He'll be 36 in December. Would you rather give him 2 years at $13.5 million per year with a 3rd year option or sign Markakis for 3 years at $13 million per year? I'm a big Markakis fan but he is not worth his $17.5 million option year contract or $13 mill per year. I'm speculating Nick will get a $13 million dollar offer somewhere. The offensive production of our lineup would benefit adding Martinez over Nick. We would need to add another speed OF (Berry) or continue with Pearce and Young in OF with De Aza, Jones and Cruz being the starters(assuming Cruz signs).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait...

You think V-Mart is only worth 500k more than Markakis on the open market? If Martinez signs for less than 3 years/$45 million, I'll be floored.

I don't believe there is a team out there that will pay Markakis 3/45. I think you'll be floored. Nick will be offered a contract similar to Hardy, around 3/40 by the O's.

Wait...

You think V-Mart is only worth 500k more than Markakis on the open market? If Martinez signs for less than 3 years/$45 million, I'll be floored.

The Orioles gave up a pick when they resigned Hardy. I do not believe we will sign anyone with a pick attached.

I remember them talking on wall to wall baseball when Cruz signed, that he probably took less and he and the O's had a gentlemen's agreement they wouldn't QO him. Is it guaranteed Cruz will get a QO?

Not DDs MO. I would be shocked if this happened. If players have an issue with QOs, then talk to their union that negotiated the bargaining agreement.

I remember them talking on wall to wall baseball when Cruz signed, that he probably took less and he and the O's had a gentlemen's agreement they wouldn't QO him. Is it guaranteed Cruz will get a QO?

Yes. That was just some reporter's speculation.

Archived