Trade Schoop?

vab

I love Jonathan Schoop's potential. I think he will be a very solid player, maybe even an all-star, within a few years. When we were in rebuilding mode this is the kind of guy that would have been a nearly untouchable cornerstone but now, with a team this close, should Schoop be traded? Right now Flaherty and Schoop are pretty comparable so, if the Orioles could get as far as they did with Schoop's production/defense at 2B and they have another guy who can probably give similar production/defense, could Schoop help fill a hole elsewhere? Maybe to replace Miller if he can't be re-signed? Maybe for another solid contact hitter? Maybe to help replace Cruz if he leaves? Maybe for a SP? I think it's something that should be seriously considered.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say no. The O's have a limited budget, so it's especially important to take advantage of having a young player in his very low dollar years. And he likely will be better than Flaherty level next season. If they're blown away with a great offer - consider it. But I would not be looking to trade him.

Ryan Flaherty has shown that aside from the postseason he's not an every day player. He can pop a homer every now and again, but his offensive game doesn't really provide much else, and his value comes from the fact he can play several different positions. While it's justifiable to question Schoop's bat going forward he's still at an age and will be for another 1-3 years where the potential is still there to make you want to keep him. I'm not saying he's untouchable, but if you're going to move him Ryan Flaherty is not the answer.

No. Every team has a couple of cheap guys that contribute in ways other than their bat. Schoop is one of those guys with the potential to be more. We have gotten here by building around a core of players we have developed. Teams like Tampa and St. Louis have proven it is possible to stay competitive year after year following that strategy. It will all fall apart in a minute if we forget what has gotten us here.

Like I said, I think Schoop is the much better talent going forward over Flaherty but I think now is the time to give up a piece of that future for help right now. You never know when another chance like this is going to come for this organization.

Like I said, I think Schoop is the much better talent going forward over Flaherty but I think now is the time to give up a piece of that future for help right now. You never know when another chance like this is going to come for this organization.

Guys that can hang in at the ML level for a full season at 22 mostly end up being pretty good.

Jones put up a 87 OPS+ in his age 22 season.

Guys that can hang in at the ML level for a full season at 22 mostly end up being pretty good.

Jones put up a 87 OPS+ in his age 22 season.

He may have hung on with the Orioles, even though IMO he shouldn't have been our everyday 2B. But he definitely wouldn't have hung on with alot of teams. The majority of the year he was a black hole. We could have done worse at 2b I'm sure, but I thought he should have been platooning with someone else like Lombo at the least to get some more productive AB's out of 2B.

He may have hung on with the Orioles, even though IMO he shouldn't have been our everyday 2B. But he definitely wouldn't have hung on with alot of teams. The majority of the year he was a black hole. We could have done worse at 2b I'm sure, but I thought he should have been platooning with someone else like Lombo at the least to get some more productive AB's out of 2B.

You should go look at the other teams and see who they had at second. Not a lot of quality second basemen out there at the moment.

You should go look at the other teams and see who they had at second. Not a lot of quality second basemen out there at the moment.

Ha you mean guys like Kinsler, Altuve, Kendrick, Dozier, Cano, Zobrist, Pedroia? who all had over a .300 OBP? Come on man Schoop batted .209 with a .244 OBP. That is terrible terrible terrible. Yes i know the defense obviously comes into play. But those IMO are unacceptable offensive numbers for a starting 2b

I love Jonathan Schoop's potential. I think he will be a very solid player, maybe even an all-star, within a few years. When we were in rebuilding mode this is the kind of guy that would have been a nearly untouchable cornerstone but now, with a team this close, should Schoop be traded? Right now Flaherty and Schoop are pretty comparable so, if the Orioles could get as far as they did with Schoop's production/defense at 2B and they have another guy who can probably give similar production/defense, could Schoop help fill a hole elsewhere? Maybe to replace Miller if he can't be re-signed? Maybe for another solid contact hitter? Maybe to help replace Cruz if he leaves? Maybe for a SP? I think it's something that should be seriously considered.

What little bit would you get for Schoop since based on what I am hearing from the crowd he is not an adequate second baseman for us? I think that Jon's best value is to us as a young player. And That Ryan Flaherty's best job is utility.

Archived