Resign Cruz and let Davis go

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you Oriole fans but if I were Dan I would resign Nelson Cruz and let Chris Davis go. Steve Pierce can hit better than 1.98 and will hit at least 20 to 35 home runs. I don't think the Oriole players respect Chris anymore and frankly how can you blame them. What do you think?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about you Oriole fans but if I were Dan I would resign Nelson Cruz and let Chris Davis go. Steve Pierce can hit better than 1.98 and will hit at least 20 to 35 home runs. I don't think the Oriole players respect Chris anymore and frankly how can you blame them. What do you think?

Better idea: resign Nelson Cruz and keep Chris Davis. What would the point be of getting rid of Davis? I think he has a bounce back year and hits 35-40 bombs.

What would the point be of getting rid of Davis?

We probably can't afford both Cruz and Davis. Especially if they plan on bringing back Markakis as well, which is likely.

Give me Cruz any day over a guy who looks completely lost at the plate and coming off a PED suspension.

Yes, exactly. I think the O's will do the opposite (keep Davis and let Cruz go), but this is what I would like to see them do.

Uhhh... I think we're overrating Pearce here. Don't expect him to put up the same numbers next season, and for goodness sake don't rely on it. He is a good player who plays hard and has good defense, but he won't have anything close to a 160 OPS+.

Davis is an asset and he should do better next year, like Pearce should do worse. The problem comes with his huge arbitration number. If they dump him, they desperately need to find a LH bat, and one that would cost them less than the $10 mil they would theoretically pay Davis. Really the best answer for both sides is if Crush signs a reasonable contract now... but of course we know that won't happen because he's represented by Boras Corp and they're all going to bank on a comeback year. Sooo, the team ultimately needs to keep him and hope he plays well in his contract year.

I don't think Davis' money should have an impact on whether the team signs Cruz or not.

Pearce was the difference in game 1 alcs. 1b has to be able to pick balls from the dirt. Not sure in game 4 if his throw to Joseph was good or not....

Either way I wish we'd have had Davis.

And I'm not about to pretend Davis is the only guy breaking rules out there. Half of America seems to be walking around medicated...

Gosh it wasn't that long ago where the annual hotstove conversation was more along the lines of "why can't the O's find able bodies for 1B/DH?"

Really like the optionality that DD has stacked up here. Trust that he and Buck will solve according to $$$ and player assessment parameters. In other words, all 3 if the money and years for Nellie is right. Potential to reduce by one head and allocate dollars elsewhere if better efficiency. That could mean Nellie or Crush.

Pearce was the difference in game 1 alcs. 1b has to be able to pick balls from the dirt. Not sure in game 4 if his throw to Joseph was good or not....

Either way I wish we'd have had Davis.

And I'm not about to pretend Davis is the only guy breaking rules out there. Half of America seems to be walking around medicated...

Agreed about game one.

Keep the guy with the presumed HGH suspension because you don't think the team will respect the guy with the Adderall suspension?

Keep the guy you have to sign through age 35 over the guy who you control?

Play the guy who had a career year and hit 25 home runs and get rid of the guy who had a down year and hit 25 home runs.

None of what you are saying contains any logic.

They didn't seem to have any problems re2pecting Roberts or Cruz.

Keep the guy with the presumed HGH suspension because you don't think the team will respect the guy with the Adderall suspension?

Keep the guy you have to sign through age 35 over the guy who you control?

Play the guy who had a career year and hit 25 home runs and get rid of the guy who had a down year and hit 25 home runs.

None of what you are saying contains any logic.

My thoughts exactly not to mention Davis is close to a decade younger then Cruz....

They didn't seem to have any problems re2pecting Roberts or Cruz.

Interesting debate. I thought at first that the line "I don't know about you Orioles fans" meant that it was someone who was not an Orioles fan but then I looked at their screen name. If you knew you could resign Nelson it might be a defensible argument. I think we just lost a series because of lack of left-handed power so I don't know.

I could go either way on Cruz vs. Davis but it doesn't have to be one or the other. Resign Cruz AND Davis. Keep Pearce on the bench or platoon him in RF with Lough. Let Markakis walk. Letting Markakis walk is the strongest position I have.

I think this is how you improve the club.

Interesting debate. I thought at first that the line "I don't know about you Orioles fans" meant that it was someone who was not an Orioles fan but then I looked at their screen name. If you knew you could resign Nelson it might be a defensible argument. I think we just lost a series because of lack of left-handed power so I don't know.

I think they lost the series because of five broken bat RBIs.

Archived