How long will Buck stick with Jim Presley?

wildcard

Buck is very loyal to his coaches. He has assembled a very capable group. But there is one area that stands out as a problem. In 2014 the O's pitching stats were near the top of the league. Same with the fielding. But the O's were 6th in the AL in runs scored in a park where a team should do better.

Though Buck is loyal to his coaches it only extends so far. When the performance of the team in a certain area does not measure up Buck will make a move. Last year the O's pitching was 10th in ERA the AL. Rick Adair was not brought back and the team of Wallace and Chiti were put in place. The results this year were much better.

Presley's approach of hitting the ball hard at all time has led to impressive home runs totals. However that is not really the goal of a team that wants to win the World Series. The goal of the hitting coach is to score runs. Its an area Buck and DD have to be looking at to see how to improve it. The loss of Wieters, Machado and Davis certainly didn't help but is the all or nothing approach of Presley the one that gets the O's to win the World Series. That is for Buck to consider.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of 'swing for homers not singles' comes from the hitting coach vs head coach? Isn't that more of a big picture strategy thing?

Is it known that the current hitting coach favors this or is this an assumption based on performances of select people like Cruz and jones?

What hitters either came to the Orioles or were called up while Presley was hitting coach and underwent a noticeable change in their hitting approach? I can't think of any of the top of my head. Point being, hitters tend to be who they are and a hitting coach isn't going to change that. If the O's seek to improve their OBP, situational hitting, or whatever, they need to find players that bring those skills to the table. It has nothing to do with the coach.

Obviously there are a lot of factors at play, but here is where the Orioles ranked in OPS the 3 years prior to Presley joining the coaching staff, and the 3 years since he has been here:

2009: 16th (.747)

2010: 22nd (.702)

2011: 12th (.729)

Presley hired

2012: 12th (.728)

2013: 4th (.744)

2014: 5th (.734)

What would OH be, unless someone fires off, it's time to fire the hitting coach thread?

So Presley has no credit for the team winning the AL East, and having their best record since 1979?

I know. We can bring back Terry Crowley. Or fire Buck. Jim Presley will be here through 2018.

Obviously there are a lot of factors at play, but here is where the Orioles ranked in OPS the 3 years prior to Presley joining the coaching staff, and the 3 years since he has been here:

2009: 16th (.747)

2010: 22nd (.702)

2011: 12th (.729)

Presley hired

2012: 12th (.728)

2013: 4th (.744)

2014: 5th (.734)

In an offense deficient MLB.

What hitters either came to the Orioles or were called up while Presley was hitting coach and underwent a noticeable change in their hitting approach? I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Matt Wieters made some significant changes to his stance from the left side of the plate in 2014, which seemed to be paying dividends for him prior to his injury. I believe Steve Pearce also made some changes to his stance from past seasons.

Buck is very loyal to his coaches. He has assembled a very capable group. But there is one area that stands out as a problem. In 2014 the O's pitching stats were near the top of the league. Same with the fielding. But the O's were 6th in the AL in runs scored in a park where a team should do better.

Though Buck is loyal to his coaches it only extends so far. When the performance of the team in a certain area does not measure up Buck will make a move. Last year the O's pitching was 10th in ERA the AL. Rick Adair was not brought back and the team of Wallace and Chiti were put in place. The results this year were much better.

Presley's approach of the hitting the ball hard at all time has led to impressive home runs totals. However that is not really the goal of a team that wants to win the World Series. The goal of the hitting coach is to score runs. Its an area Buck and DD have to be looking at to see how to improve it. The loss of Wieters, Machado and Davis certainly didn't help but is the all or nothing approach of Presley the one that gets the O's to win the World Series. That is for Buck to consider.

It's not for Buck to consider.

Terry Crowley once told me the team had hit enough to win three pennants. It was a shame that our starting pitching, defense, and BAIBP were out if whack for an important series.

What hitters either came to the Orioles or were called up while Presley was hitting coach and underwent a noticeable change in their hitting approach? I can't think of any of the top of my head. Point being, hitters tend to be who they are and a hitting coach isn't going to change that. If the O's seek to improve their OBP, situational hitting, or whatever, they need to find players that bring those skills to the table. It has nothing to do with the coach.

It has nothing to do with the coach. Agreed.

Matt Wieters made some significant changes to his stance from the left side of the plate in 2014, which seemed to be paying dividends for him prior to his injury. I believe Steve Pearce also made some changes to his stance from past seasons.

Agreed on the stance changes. When I said approach, I was specifically referring to patience, trying to drive the ball rather than simply put it into play, ect. I agree that stance changes and altering guys swings are definitely areas hitting coaches can and will address that might see some value. I am less sure that the Orioles power offense has anything to do with Pressley's philosophical approach to hitting rather than simply being a result of how the roster is constructed.

What would OH be, unless someone fires off, it's time to fire the hitting coach thread?

So Presley has no credit for the team winning the AL East, and having their best record since 1979?

The Orioles won 98 games in 1997.

But yes, firing Jim Presley when the team finished first in MLB in HR the past two years and 6th in the AL in runs scored seems absolutely ridiculous.

It is interesting that hitting coaches seem to be the fall guys around baseball this year. New York, New York, Boston and Atlanta all fired their hitting coaches but retained their managers this off-season. Milwaukee, Chicago (Cubs) and Houston all fired their hitting coaches during the season.

Archived