Tim Pahuta Joins 32 MILB players to Sue over Wages

weams

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/10/17/hbo-to-air-report-on-minor-league-wage-lawsuit-the-same-night-the-world-series-starts/

The program, which will air Tuesday at 10 p.m. (just two hours after the Kansas City Royals’ first pitch to the San Francisco Giants in Game 1 of the World Series), takes viewers inside the home of former Washington Nationals minor league player Tim Pahuta. He says that during his years in the minors, when he racked up 112 career home runs in nine seasons, he lived on an air mattress with three other men in a two-bedroom apartment. Today, Pahuta, who is part of the wage lawsuit, lives with his parents. He’s 31.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was younger I would have played in the Minors for free just for the opportunity. And if this was so important to him why did he wait until he was retired to sue? I don't have much sympathy for people that take a job or other opportunities, that they agreed to, and then sue after the fact.

I know where I come down on it....free market. Playing minor league ball is an opportunity and nothing more. You don't want to risk working for low wages in your early 20's?, then don't. These guys can go work in another profession and play in weekend leagues if they love playing baseball.

And if teams find it impossible to fill out a minor league system paying only $5k, they will have to raise the pay, or have fewer minor league affiliates.

Yeah. It's a difficult issue. I see great arguments for both sides. Anyone know in more specifics what MiLB players make?

Dunno, but this guy is saying the hot dog vendor is making more.

Don't know if I buy the argument that MiL guys are getting "paid in skills" to prepare them for the ML, comparing it to internships. Don't know if I buy internships either, unless it is running parallel to being in school and you receive course credit.

And as "seasonal employees" what happens if you injure yourself and it limits your health permanently?

I'm sure there's much more to consider. Thought provoking stuff.

I know where I come down on it....free market. Playing minor league ball is an opportunity and nothing more. You don't want to risk working for low wages in your early 20's?, then don't. These guys can go work in another profession and play in weekend leagues if they love playing baseball.

And if teams find it impossible to fill out a minor league system paying only $5k, they will have to raise the pay, or have fewer minor league affiliates.

Minor leagues players can be paid substantially more if they are free agent signings. The guys who are playing pursuing a dream have it fairly tough. Boosters in the area look to fill in some of the deficiencies and advertising opportunities for the players exist. A good agent usually contracts those types of deals.

I would compare it to adjunct professors in academia. They are pursuing coveted jobs with no guarantee of success. Making it is a combination of skill, hard work, and luck. The part-time jobs at the bottom of the market offer a foot in the door and are open to just about anyone, but only a small portion actually make it. On the one hand, the institutions know that what they are doing is exploitative. On the other hand, at a certain point the adjuncts know what they are getting into and are willing participants. They just happen to be the ones who never beat out the competition. I always tell graduate students who are facing the job market to put a cap on the number of years they will commit to pursuing full time employment. Once they hit their time, they should walk away and do something else. It's very hard to tell someone who has invested 8-10 years in becoming an academic that it's time for them to walk away, but ultimately it is their decision and they have to take responsibility. Tough situation, but I don't see minor league ballplayers as any different.

I guess if there is a crack down on minor league pay by the federal government, MLB can just go the way of the NFL and NBA. Use the colleges as your minor league system. Maybe have one farm team to hold AAAA players and a few good prospects. And then use the independent leagues to scout for players if you need some mid season replacements that aren't currently in your system.

Archived