Markakis - Historical Comps Aged Well

Orange

Baseball Reference lists Gregg Jeffries, Chet Lemon, Al Oliver, Johnny Damon, and Gary Matthews Sr. as comps for Nick through age 30. (Here's the link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/markani01.shtml) The only one that didn't perform reasonably well ages 31-34 was Jeffries, who was bothered by injuries as a Tiger in 1999 and 2000 and had to retire at 32.

Anyway, all of that to say that even though Nick has tailed off since his thumb injury in 2012 there is historical precedent for a player like him performing pretty well in the years that would be for him a possible 4-year deal.

After looking at it, I wouldn't mind something like a 4/36 deal if he'd accept it. What do you think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could certainly be one of those guys that is productive with the bat into his late 30s. I like that he has such a consistent approach and does not rely on speed for his offensive game. I would be most worried about his defense. He seems to have already taken a step back, and does not have a big enough bat to DH. That is the big problem with Nick. Can you see him playing RF at an acceptable level 4 years from now? If not, I would rather pay him a bit more for fewer years.

The problem with Markakis is it doesn't matter if he ages well. He's an average player right now' date=' and has been for a while now. Even if Markakis never lost a beat in the next 4 years, the Orioles shouldn't be locking up an average at best player for the next 4 years.[/quote']

If he gets a 4 year deal, look for the 4th year to be an option year.

The problem with Markakis is it doesn't matter if he ages well. He's an average player right now' date=' and has been for a while now. Even if Markakis never lost a beat in the next 4 years, the Orioles shouldn't be locking up an average at best player for the next 4 years.[/quote']

I don't actually mind locking him and to ensure he is a lifetime Oriole. He could be solid for 3 - 5 years. He could become a burden if his contact is too big.

But the contract needs to be structured so the Orioles can get out it or afford to have Nick be a part time player should a better option become available.

Multiple options years or something. I don't know.

I don't actually mind locking him and to ensure he is a lifetime Oriole. He could be solid for 3 - 5 years. He could become a burden if his contact is too big.

But the contract needs to be structured so the Orioles can get out it or afford to have Nick be a part time player should a better option become available.

I don't think he has a position. He doesn't produce enough offense to pass as a average at best corner outfielder and he certainly doesn't have the skills to play a skilled defensive position.

How much is "having quality at bats" worth when that and your throwing arm are you only skills?

I don't think he has a position. He doesn't produce enough offense to pass as a average at best corner outfielder and he certainly doesn't have the skills to play a skilled defensive position.

How much is "having quality at bats" worth when that and your throwing arm are you only skills?

I saw some pretty darn good fielding by Nick this year, on dropping fly balls and bloop hits to RF.

I remember one interview after the game and Buck mentioned love having Nick patrolling RF and knowing he is out there, is one less worry that he has.

I saw some pretty darn good fielding by Nick this year, on dropping fly balls and bloop hits to RF.

I remember one interview after the game and Buck mentioned love having Nick patrolling RF and knowing he is out there, is one less worry that he has.

He did look better this year, but the overall picture from the last 3-4 years has not been a pretty one. I expect a continued decline in his range.

As for Buck, of course he is going to say things like that. He's the manager and Nick is his longest tenured player.

He's bad in the field. Great arm, great glove, but he struggles to get to far too many balls.

He did look better this year, but the overall picture from the last 3-4 years has not been a pretty one. I expect a continued decline in his range.

As for Buck, of course he is going to say things like that. He's the manager and Nick is his longest tenured player.

For the team and Nick's sake.

I hope this year is a better indication on what a finally healthy Nick can do for the team and a healthy Nick, if he sticks with Brady's off season routine, should be primed and ready to go next year.

You are right, Buck is not going to say unkind words in the press about one of his guys.

But, to me, to call out an aspect of his game, like is defense, was more than just saying something nice. Again, just my opinion.

He's bad in the field. Great arm' date=' great glove, but he struggles to get to far too many balls.[/quote']

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but sorry, I don't agree. I don't believe Buck does either, or he would have def sub him, in a really tight and critical game.

I thought Delmon Young was "BAD" in the field this year.

He could be solid for the next 3 to 5 years, but it's almost a lock that that's his ceiling. The question is, how much production do you think we can get from somebody in our farm? Or from Davis Lough? If the O's really don't have somebody that can produce a 1.8 WAR season under team control right now, the future of our team is in serious trouble.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but sorry, I don't agree. I don't believe Buck does either, or he would have def sub him, in a really tight and critical game.

I thought Delmon Young was "BAD" in the field this year.

Nick is Buck's guy. He wasn't going to touch him anymore than he was going to Johnson in 2013.

Archived