Any interest in a Koji reunion? (Boston 2/$18M)

Aglets

Got the idea from Roch's blog this morning. He also mentions Nolan Reimold and Jim Johnson, which I think are slam dunk 'nos.'

Koji has at least been really good within the past calendar year. Yes, he will turn 40 in April. But could he be worth a 1 year deal with incentives? Certainly he's at least worth a minor league deal, right?

First half of 2014: 43.2 IP 57 K 1.65 ERA 0.756 WHIP

Second half of 2014: 20.2 IP 23 K 4.35 ERA 1.258 WHIP

His SO:BB ratio actually got better in the 2nd half. His K rate still looks solid. His BB rate also improved. Really the only differences that seem significant:

BABIP shot up. HR rate also increased.

But is 20.2 innings really enough to be conclusive? I don't think so....I'd support Koji coming home on a team friendly deal in 2015.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting fact:

Between his stints in Boston and Baltimore last year, Andrew Miller was worth 1.8 WAR last season.

Koji was worth 1.7.

If we can get him for 10-20% of what Miller wants.......that seems like the potential for amazing value.

Obviously weren't not paying him more than $5M and we're not giving him more than a 1 year deal. I bet he would come to Baltimore for less than $5M......his family is still here and he strikes me as a very loyal person, I remember how upset he was to leave in the first place.

Too old. The O's need to continually find younger, productive players to add. There is not really a reason to go old.

I would like for the Orioles to have relievers that at least approach 9 K's / 9.

Last year that was O'Day, Matusz (I think he's gone next year), and Miller (also almost certainly gone).

Since 2010 when Koji was made a full time reliever.........he has never had a season UNDER 10.8 K / 9.

If Boston wasn't sure of resigning him why didn't they flip him at the deadline?

Not sure, but I bet the Lester deal took a lot of their attention. It's not like they were sitting around that month.

I bet they would like to re-sign him.

Hmmm, i just read two articles looking at Koji from Boston's point of view and there seems to be some consideration that Boston might give him a QO.

Obviously if they do that, that will likely price him out of our range.......and that is fine. He might be worth close to a QO (he's done it before and recently) but that is too much risk and not something the O's can afford to do next year. That would be more than what Miller's annual salary turns out to be next year I'll bet.

Hmmm, i just read two articles looking at Koji from Boston's point of view and there seems to be some consideration that Boston might give him a QO.

Obviously if they do that, that will likely price him out of our range.......and that is fine. He might be worth close to a QO (he's done it before and recently) but that is too much risk and not something the O's can afford to do next year. That would be more than what Miller's annual salary turns out to be next year I'll bet.

Koji will never get a qualifying offer. Koji won't make 8 million next year.

Archived