Cruz or Butler

Scrat1

Cruz or Butler  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Cruz or Butler

• Cruz for 3/42
    • Butler for 1/10 + pick from Cruz

This poll is closed to new votes

Which option do you prefer? Obviously the exact contracts are speculation, but I think that's not too far off. I imagine Butler gets less, maybe 1/8. On Cruz I just did a rough averaging of the 2/30 that most fans are hoping for and the 3/45 that some analysts have been suggesting.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which option do you prefer?

Cruz can play the outfield corners if needed. He has a plus arm. He is also a strong leader for kids like Machado and Schoop, possibly DeAza who I think will benefit from a guy like Nelson. I'd like to have kids in their early 20's learn from Nelson.

I doubt he'd take 3/42, since he could probably get significantly more on the open market... but if we could get him for that it feels like a steal. If you combine this season with the rate he was hitting in 2013 before the suspension, it feels like he could go another couple of years.

Butler is interesting since there doesn't figure to be much of a market for a DH-only type. Can he get a QO? Seems like a good bet for the first accepted QO, actually.

I doubt he'd take 3/42, since he could probably get significantly more on the open market... but if we could get him for that it feels like a steal. If you combine this season with the rate he was hitting in 2013 before the suspension, it feels like he could go another couple of years.

Butler is interesting since there doesn't figure to be much of a market for a DH-only type. Can he get a QO? Seems like a good bet for the first accepted QO, actually.

Royals are not going to offer Butler a QO. He's coming off a down year and knows his market is suppressed. He would definitely accept and the Royals, being tight on cash, can't afford to pay him fifteen million.

I agree that Cruz is going to get more than 3/42.

Why is Cruz getting more than 3/42? He's a year older and will still have the loss of a pick attached. The teams that needed him last year will be the teams that need him this year. He makes little sense to a NL team. People overestimate his market IMO.

Archived