The Royals: Emerging AL Power, or Flash in the Pan?

Frobby

What are the Royals?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What are the Royals?

• One Year Wonder
    • Emerging Power

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

The Royals were a very streaky team in 2014.

They started the season at an average 29-32 overall. Then, they won 10 straight games. At that point, it looked like they were going to be in the race to stay.

Then, they went 9-18 over their next 27 games to drop to 48-50.

At that point, they looked like they had dropped out of the race, and would have an average season, at best.

But then ...... they went 24-6 over their next 30 games, and led their division by 3 games at 72-56 overall.

They were very much an up-and-down team throughout the 2014 season ...... but ultimately, they won 89 games, and turned out to be a good team overall in the regular season, and a very good team overall in the postseason.

When the Orioles won 93 games in 2012, some wondered whether or not they would remain in contention, or if they would drop back to their losing ways in 2013 and beyond. The Orioles showed that they were not a fluke/flash-in-the-pan by going 85-77 in 2013, and then 96-66 in 2014.

The 2014 Royals already had a winning season under their belts in 2013 before their 2014 dream season, unlike the 2012 Orioles, who had gone 69-93 in 2011. If they complete a 3rd consecutive winning season in 2015 (like the Orioles just did in 2014), then I think that they will continue to be a perennial contender in the foreseen future.

At the level they showed this postseason, definitely a one year wonder. You can't expect to win year after year playing a certain way. The Orioles learned that in 2013, and they got better in 2014. They're likely losing Shields, whose not a great postseason pitcher anyway despite his nickname. Guthrie is average at best but going to decline, and while they have a nice young group of starters that can go either way. We've certainly learned that enough times. Their offense was below average this year, and it seems to keep happening year after year. The talent hasn't fully equated to production. The back end of the bullpen is filthy, but at some point it's going to get expensive.

The talent is there, but they're still in a division with Detroit who has a better rotation and owns them. Cleveland could figure themselves out again, and even for the WC they still have to go through any combination of the Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, A's, Angels, and Mariners just to get one of the two spots. That's a tall order for anyone. If they're back in the playoffs next year I wouldn't be surprised, they are talented after all. But it takes a lot just to get there, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're around .500 again next year and out of it either.

• 8 months later...
Bump....Looks like "emerging AL power" was the correct choice.

They are having a good year. They're a pretty good team. But I don't know if "emerging AL power" is really correct. Their pitching doesn't look great, three of their top five starters really aren't having good years. Gordon could be a free agent. Salvador Perez looks like their JJ Hardy - he's OBP'ing .268. They don't really have a second baseman, Rios is bad, Morales is nothing special at all. I don't know a thing about their farm system. Last offseason they plugged holes very similarly to the O's, letting Shields walk and signing some buy-low guys.

Bump....Looks like "emerging AL power" was the correct choice.

They are definitely well positioned. The division, in general, is on the rise, so I don't know that I see them taking over and going on a multi-year divisional crown run. But they should be a solid to good team in the near team, for sure.

They are having a good year. They're a pretty good team. But I don't know if "emerging AL power" is really correct. Their pitching doesn't look great, three of their top five starters really aren't having good years. Gordon could be a free agent. Salvador Perez looks like their JJ Hardy - he's OBP'ing .268. They don't really have a second baseman, Rios is bad, Morales is nothing special at all. I don't know a thing about their farm system. Last offseason they plugged holes very similarly to the O's, letting Shields walk and signing some buy-low guys.

You're reading too much into what I mean by "emerging power." I don't mean they'll be a dynasty, just that they could be good for a few years.

You're reading too much into what I mean by "emerging power." I don't mean they'll be a dynasty, just that they could be good for a few years.

Oh, then yea. I think they are roughly as well set as the Orioles, not really knowing how strong their farm is, but assuming they're no more competitive financially. And maybe in a weaker division. It is funny how one year ago today they hadn't had a winning season in forever and didn't know if they'd be over .500 in '14.

o

The Royals were a very streaky team in 2014.

They started the season at an average 29-32 overall. Then, they won 10 straight games. At that point, it looked like they were going to be in the race to stay.

Then, they went 9-18 over their next 27 games to drop to 48-50.

At that point, they looked like they had dropped out of the race, and would have an average season, at best.

But then ...... they went 24-6 over their next 30 games, and led their division by 3 games at 72-56 overall.

They were very much an up-and-down team throughout the 2014 season ...... but ultimately, they won 89 games, and turned out to be a good team overall in the regular season, and a very good team overall in the postseason.

When the Orioles won 93 games in 2012, some wondered whether or not they would remain in contention, or if they would drop back to their losing ways in 2013 and beyond. The Orioles showed that they were not a fluke/flash-in-the-pan by going 85-77 in 2013, and then 96-66 in 2014.

The 2014 Royals already had a winning season under their belts in 2013 before their 2014 dream season, unlike the 2012 Orioles, who had gone 69-93 in 2011. If they complete a 3rd consecutive winning season in 2015 (like the Orioles just did in 2014), then I think that they will continue to be a perennial contender in the foreseen future.

Presuming that nothing catastrophic happens to them over the final 10 weeks of their 2015 campaign, the Royals will have had the 3 consecutive winning seasons by season's end (like the Orioles accomplished last year) ........ hence, in my rat's ass of an opinion, they have proven to be a perennial contender.

Presuming that nothing catastrophic happens to them over the final 10 weeks of their 2015 campaign, the Royals will have had the 3 consecutive winning seasons by season's end (like the Orioles accomplished last year) ........ hence, in my rat's ass of an opinion, they have proven to be a perennial contender.

Funny, KC won more games than we did in 2013 (86 to 85).....I didn't remember that. I'm not sure I'd agree that three years of winning makes you a "perennial contender" though, at least in my definition of that term.

• 3 months later...

Archived